Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dimitri5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2015
I have a Mid 2009 MacBook Pro with the following specs:

Processor: 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory: 2 GB 1067 MHz
*I have 90 GB of free storage on my HD.
*I'm running OS X Yosemite

I need to be able to run Windows, but I really don't want to spend a lot of money on a new laptop just for the OS. However, I am concerned that my MacBook Pro is too old and doesn't have enough memory to run Bootcamp. I understand that I can only run Windows 7. I would just be looking to install MS Office 2013 on the Windows portion of the laptop.

Is this doable? My current 2008 version of Excel is super slow to open in the Mac OS and I'm hoping that the Windows version will run a bit quicker (plus I am familiar with the Windows interface from work).

Would love to hear opinions on it. Would it really slow down my Mac? Is it worth it?

Dimitri5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2015
I've heard that Parallels would run slower than using Bootcamp. Given my specs, do you have any insight into that?

For Parallels, you have to purchase both Windows 7 OS and the Parallels software, correct?

DavidBlack

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2013
Somewhere In Apple's HQ ;)
I'd suggest running Parallels instead. Bootcamp just to run MS Office seems like a bit of overkill.

However, the OP would have to spend additional money to buy Parallels. OP, I my recommendation is to Install Microsoft Office for the Mac, or you can go ahead and Install BootCamp :)

EDIT: What version of Excel for Mac are you running? You can get the latest preview of Office for Mac 2016 here: http://products.office.com/en-US/mac/mac-preview

I suggest you try it out and see if you like it. IMO it's just like the Windows version.

Last edited:

Dimitri5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2015
However, the OP would have to spend additional money to buy Parallels. OP, I my recommendation is to Install Microsoft Office for the Mac, or you can go ahead and Install BootCamp :)

I use MS Office for Windows at work and I can't stand Excel for Mac...so I really would like to run it through Windows. I'm really looking for whatever would provide better performance.

DavidBlack

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2013
I use MS Office for Windows at work and I can't stand Excel for Mac...so I really would like to run it through Windows. I'm really looking for whatever would provide better performance.

Because you have 2GB of RAM I would not suggest using Parallels. BootCamp will give you the best performance because you don't have to share your RAM between your main OS and the VM.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
The memory that you have now (2GB) is very marginal, especially for Yosemite. Upgrading to 4GB, or going to the max of 8GB would be wonderful.
You would particularly want to do that if you decide to run Windows Office in Parallels, which would work fine with more memory installed.

Dimitri5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2015

EDIT: What version of Excel for Mac are you running? You can get the latest preview of Office for Mac 2016 here: http://products.office.com/en-US/mac/mac-preview

I suggest you try it out and see if you like it. IMO it's just like the Windows version.

I'm running 2008 lol...it's more the fact that I'm used to the Windows environment.

----------

The memory that you have now (2GB) is very marginal, especially for Yosemite. Upgrading to 4GB, or going to the max of 8GB would be wonderful.
You would particularly want to do that if you decide to run Windows Office in Parallels, which would work fine with more memory installed.

Noob question, but is installing more memory difficult?

Dimitri5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2015
That explains why you don't fancy it on the Mac side :) If that's the case then I suggest you use Bootcamp. Will you need any assistance in installing it?

I think I can handle it if that's what I decide to do. I'll have to purchase Windows 7 first.

I've used Office 2011 for Mac as well...pretty similar layout to me.

DavidBlack

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2013
Not to mention having to reboot every time he wants to write a letter.

Brilliant!

I'm just trying to give him the best route if he wants the best performance. Sure, you can use Parallels however, he might experience some serious system slow down and on top of that he has a HDD.

BTW these are the official hardware requirements for Parallels 10:

• Minimum 2 GB of memory (4 GB of memory is recommended to run Windows 7 in a virtual machine or if your host OS is Lion)
  • A Mac computer with an Intel Core 2 Duo, Core i3, Core i5, Core i7, or Xeon processor (Core Solo and Core Duo processors are no longer supported)

Dimitri5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2015
Hmmm, maybe that would be an option. I just don't want to mess anything up. Think upgrading RAM would help?

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Ok, so he meets the minimum requirements. All he wants is to run MS Office.

A single VM running Word will run just fine. This obsession with performance is unhealthy. The spell checker in Word won't mind an extra spin or to of the hard drive.

Having to reboot every time you want to create a doc, now THAT is crazy.

----------

Hmmm, maybe that would be an option. I just don't want to mess anything up. Think upgrading RAM would help?

Yes. More RAM is good.

Dimitri5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2015
Ok, so he meets the minimum requirements. All he wants is to run MS Office.

A single VM running Word will run just fine. This obsession with performance is unhealthy. The spell checker in Word won't mind an extra spin or to of the hard drive.

Having to reboot every time you want to create a doc, now THAT is crazy.

----------

Yes. More RAM is good.

I'm more concerned about running Excel macros.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.