Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dcail07

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 27, 2007
OK I don't own a mac yet and I don't really know anything about it. But if I buy a computer game that is only windows compatible can I just run XP via bootcamp and play it?

theman5725

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2006
Yep. Boot Camp simply runs Windows, EXACTLY as if it were a normal PC. Any Windows program will run exactly as it normally would.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
Just make sure you buy a Mac with a powerful enough video card to support the game you want to play. Macbooks and minis use Intel GMA950 integrated graphics which is not capable of playing high-end games at decent settings or performance (at higher settings).

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Yep. Boot Camp simply runs Windows, EXACTLY as if it were a normal PC. Any Windows program will run exactly as it normally would.

hi phil,

i don't mean to hijack this thread, but maybe piggy back so i don't have to start a new one :)

So, you're saying that with boot camp, i can run any windows program (considering the vid card of course) - it's like having 2 computers in one?

if so, awesome! I plan to shed my peecee when i buy a macpro in april/may specifically for this reason. what about 3rd party stuff like printers? I assume the windows installs 'windows drivers' so i could print just as i do now?

anything else i need to worry about? is there a website dedicated to boot camp?

Cheers,
Keebler

spriter

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2004
hi phil,
So, you're saying that with boot camp, i can run any windows program (considering the vid card of course) - it's like having 2 computers in one?

That's pretty much it. Boot Camp basically enables you to dual-boot. Ever dual-booted 2k and XP? Linux and XP? Same thing. Different OSs on the same hardware.

Third party drivers are fine. If a driver has been written for the OS you put on, it'll work as well as it would if you installed it onto a Dell, HP, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.