bootcamp question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Freyqq, May 12, 2007.

1. Freyqq macrumors 68040

I have a xp home upgrade copy and a 98 copy of windows.

I want to install xp home upgrade on my mac with boot camp. I've heard that eject does not work during installation, so you can't switch out the cds to install an upgrade copy. Does anyone know how to make this work? Thanks!!

2. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

You need to have Windows XP SP2 or Vista on a disc to install Boot Camp. I don't think you can install it any other way.

3. Freyqq thread starter macrumors 68040

?

i do have it on a disk...its a regular copy from the store..

4. Freyqq thread starter macrumors 68040

"You would be required to insert your original Windows CD during installation, however there is no way to eject the first disc until after Windows installation is complete and the drivers from the Macintosh Driver CD created by Boot Camp Assistant Beta are installed."

frankly this sounds like a really lame reason. It probably works fine, but they didn't feel like making the eject button work in installation.

Is there some way to burn both onto the same dvd? I need to slipstream anyways b\c the disk isn't sp2..

5. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

Slipstream it.

There are a number of web sites out there that go through the process. You'll need some type of CD/DVD burning software, such as Nero or Toast to do it.

MD

6. Luis Ortega macrumors 6502a

My understanding is that you need a full install cd to install windows xp with bootcamp, not an upgrade disk.
    It also needs to be sp2 but you could slipstream a full install disk and a sp2 to have the correct media for installation.

7. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

I actually had this exact same question...

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but if I just obtain a copy of windows xp SP2 on a single disc, can't I just register it with my current activation key (I'm not running the mentioned copy on any other machines as I use linux)?

There's nothing illegal with that right?

8. deadpixels macrumors 6502a

deadpixels

just go for it, i'm sure Bill won't mind :D