Bootcamp Question...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by zarley, May 20, 2008.

1. zarley macrumors member

I have decided to use bootcamp because I want to play some games on my iMac but am nervous because of the Windows install. Is it possible to do a minimum install of Windows XP SP2? Should I be worried about corrupting my Mac if all I am using it for is installing and playing games? Also, would an antivirus program be recommended for installing on the "PC" partition side? AVG Free maybe? Lastly, how much should I partition for games? 10gig? 15gig? Any help anyone can provide would be much appreciated as well as experience with Bootcamp and gaming.

Thanks!
    :apple::)

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

the search button is a wonderful feature

as far as partition size, how in the heck are we suppose to know your needs lol, pick a size that you want because once you partition, you cant make it bigger without completely reinstalling windows again

3. 1ncr3du10u5 macrumors member

If you're going to just play games on the Windows partition it's hard to see how you can contract a virus that way but it's always a good idea to install anti-virus software with Windows though I can't help with recommendations for AV software because I get that kind of software 'free' with my ISP.

You can't corrupt your Mac by installing Windows, Windows will just corrupt itself in time if you let it. I would recommend 30 gig for games to start with if your game collection is over 3 or 4 games. You'll be surprised how quick that fills up and if you're a hardcore gamer, you might want to partition it by more or be prepared to uninstall some games down the line.

Oh, and Bootcamp is brilliant, Windows in all likelyhood will run better on your Mac than most PCs. :)

4. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

For games, 15GB should be plenty.

As for antivirus software; if you're going to be using the internet on your bootcamp partition, install it. If not - it'll just bloat out Windows (even more :p)

You won't corrupt your Mac at all. Installing Windows using bootcamp is safe. If your Windows partition goes down (like mine did today, when installing SP3) you can just wipe it and start again.
    The only thing bootcamp might do (some users have reported it) is slow down your boot times into OS X.

Make sure you've got a Windows XP SP2 disc, and follow the bootcamp assistant instructions. Simple.

There's no minimum install of XP, just go through the steps and you'll be fine. Don't be afraid!

5. zarley thread starter macrumors member

Thank you so much for your input. If I must go to the internet for updates to the games I download or if I want to download mods, is there a way to change my internet settings so it has full fledged protection? I am VERY paranoid about this and I just want to make sure I don't corrupt my Mac!

6. ski2moro macrumors 6502

I have used AVG free for the entire time I have had Bootcamp installed. I don't do anything stupid on the internet, keep my Windows-side internet usage to a minimum, and receive all of my email on the Mac side.

I use the Windows side for my business application that will never be available for Macs. It's too graphics intensive for Parallels. I use Bootcamp for gaming, too. I have an older version of MS Office for convenience on the Windows partition. I also have Nero for burning DVDs.

15 -20 gigs is enough for gaming and XP. You can always adjust the partition size later.

BTW, I formatted in NTSF so I could rip on the PC side. FAT32 has a file size restriction.

I haven't had any problems with Bootcamp, and I use it on both computers. (2 copies of Windows XP, though.)

7. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

Google around and you'll find that the standard practice, widely recommended, is to have MULTIPLE anti-malware apps running under Windows, not just one. Since I like free, I went with the following:

* Windows Defender from Microsoft (you'll have to allow Microsoft "Genuine Advantage" spyware on your machine in order to use this... but then again, MS won't even give you security patches anymore if you don't allow that, IIRC).

* AVG Free antivirus

* ZoneAlarm

* Spybot Search & Destroy

Unfortunately, any time I'm away from Windows for a while (which is often--I seldom use it), these apps go NUTS on next startup and bog the machine down for ages, making me click things and going through misc. dialogs and notices until I want to scream. (Screaming doesn't help, FYI.)

And the FREE versions of these apps are even more burdensome--you can't customize how they run and how often. So they end up running more than you need, requiring a manual cancel. And when your system bogs down you have to peer at the little system tray icons to try to figure out why. Left-click the icons for more info--except in cases where it's right-click, or cases where no more info is available :eek:

And enjoy the "false positives" where legitimate activities throw up warnings. Better answer each warning correctly--THINK about it, don't click blindly when your anti-malware apps cry wolf. If you make the wrong call, you can block an important activity, or allow risky activity.

So it's best to read up on current Windows security issues--at least keep an eye on the Windows security headlines every week or so in case something important comes up. (Like an anti-malware app that accidentally CAUSES a security hole, which has happened.) Spend the time to stay educated and you are safest. Don't be discouraged--time and effort is all it takes and you can gain the same level of know-how as the people who have used Windows for years and say it's easy to secure. Remember, everything seems hard at first, but it's simple when it becomes second nature. (I hope Windows security practices never become second nature to me :p )

And when it's time to game, resist the temptation to shut down all firewalls. You won't have Leopard's easy app firewall, you'll have to deal with Windows' firewall. But do it--look up the ports and open just what you need. Don't turn off all protection just for multiplayer gaming.

But that's Windows for you. And you DO need extra protection even for gaming, because a) Windows itself has flaws from time to time that don't need a browser or email, and b) if you game, you also use other Internet apps: communication software to schedule matches or communicate with your team, browsers to download patches/mods and look up strategies, etc.

And if you don't do all this... or if you do some of it... or if you try, but don't know everything and don't do it in the best way... you might be safe anyway. There's some luck involved. Is "probably safe" good enough? That's a personal call. Lots of Windows gamers use "probably safe" practices and do just fine. Until they don't...

More in my earlier post:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=5440903&postcount=7