bootcamp question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kronie, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

If I reinstall programs and files without Bootcamp, a fresh clean install. Can I go back and access programs and setting as they were before the clean install, on the Bootcamp drive?

Like go back to a Bootcamp save and open say, Firefox to access bookmarks or entourage for email from the previous install?

2. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

Do you mean reinstall OS X or Windows? If you reinstall OS X on the partition and only reformat the OS X partition (DON'T REPARTITION THE DRIVE) then your windows partition will remain intact with everything still there. if you reinstall windows on the bootcamp partition, the obviously everything will be gone on the windows side.

3. Kronie thread starter macrumors 6502a

Kronie

Sorry let me start over. I must have been multitasking when I wrote that.

I didn't mean "Boot Camp" I meant "Time Machine"

So this really should have read:

If I reinstall programs and files without time machine, a fresh clean install. Can I go back and access programs and setting as they were before the clean install, on the time machines backup drive?

Like, go back to a time machine backup and open say, Firefox to access bookmarks or entourage for email from the previous install?

This will probably make more sense to whoever read it.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you restore a computer from a Time Machine backup, you can access files from before that restore, if and only if it's the same computer.

Otherwise, you'd need to do some tweaking.

5. Warranty Voider macrumors 6502

If you don't restore from the timemachine backup then you won't be able to use the previous timemachine backup. You'll still be able to view all of the plist files which you could then copy over, but you couldn't continue using it as a backup.