Bootcamp question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by redryder, Jul 31, 2010.

1. redryder macrumors member

Hi, I'm getting a new imac in a weeks time, and was wondering about bootcamp. When I wanted to dual-boot a PC and Linux, I had to partition the hard-drive and install the OSes before doing anything else. Do I need to do that for bootcamp and Windows 7?

I only really need windows on bootcamp for a game that's coming out in 2011. Do I need to install it now or can I wait?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You can wait, but you have to make a separate partition for Windows, which might be problematic if you have a full HDD*.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Booting_Windows_on_the_Mac

* You have a 500GB HDD in your Mac and until 2011 you might have used the complete 500GB and now delete some files to make space for Boot Camp. As the files you delete will not be placed continuously on your HDD and the platters, more like randomly, you have to erase the whole HDD to make room and also have to backup all your files (via Time machine or cloning).

Also have a look at the following links, as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

Mac OS X Basics

Switch 101 - guide with articles made by Apple on how to accustom yourself, after you switched to Mac OS X from Windows​

Mac 101 - How to get started with Mac OS X​

Find out how - tutorial videos made by Apple on how to do certain thing in Mac OS X​

Pro tips - tips made available by Apple for easier ways of doing certain tasks​

Mac OS X Keyboard Shortcuts - Learn about common Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts.​

Mac OS X Beginner's Guide by MacRumors - learn about software, media players, shortcuts and some useful tips, tricks and hints​

Mac Guides - tutorials, product guides and more​

MRoogle - a very effective tool to search these fora using Google and made available by edesignuk, introductory threads: 1, 2 and 3

3. redryder thread starter macrumors member

Given what you mentioned about non-contiguous files, what is the best way to go about installing windows on a brand new imac?

On Apple's website, it says that for a new mac, "You will be asked if you want to transfer files when you start up your new Mac for the first time. Or, you can use the Migration Assistant (located in Applications/Utilities)."

When I'm asked, should I go ahead restore from my time machine backup of the macbook before running bootcamp, or cancel and run bootcamp first? If I cancel, can I still restore my macbook's time machine onto the new machine?