Bootcamp RAM help and HD partition questions

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by lancer6576, Jun 12, 2007.

1. lancer6576 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, first time post.

I have just bought a new santa rosa MPB with 4gigs of RAM. I have installed bootcamp and have partitioned 30 gigs of space NTFS for XP.

My 4 gigs of memory are working on mac os, but in windows xp professional only 2.98 shows up when i get info about the computer. Is something broken or am I unable to use all 4 gigs of RAM in windows xp? Has anyone gotten more than 2.98 gig to register in xp on the new MBP? Is this a driver issue, or something that i have done?

Also if i want to make a third partition, FAT32, to transfer files between osx and xp. can i use disk utility to do it with out erasing everything? If not other then ipartition, is there any free partitioning SW out there?

Thanks so much for the help, i have looked everywhere on the forums and have found no answers.

2. dr01dy macrumors member

I had the same issue well kinda, I have a MacPro with 3 gigs of ram and when I used bootcamp with XP it only showed up as 2gigs of ram.

I tried Vista and then it finally showed 3 gigs of ram.

I just wanted to post that your not the only one.

Jeff

3. lancer6576 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tip jeff...

Has anyone else had these memory problems with bootcamp and xp professional?

4. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I've got a Mac Pro with 4 gigs of RAM.XP and Vista both only show 1.98 gigs.

So I wiped Windows.It sux anyway.

5. EL3RD macrumors newbie

Only 2 gigs max will show up in XP reason being because of the bios and limitations on them. Hopefully this will get fixed with a update or something in the future. XP (32 bit os has this 2 gig limit) I don't think the 64 bit Windows based OS's have this problem however.

I was baffled about this myself and after quite a bit of research I found this information out.

6. LMO macrumors member

The system memory that is reported in the System Information dialog box in Windows Vista is less than you expect if 4 GB of RAM is installed