Bootcamp really hot

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ri0ku, Jan 25, 2015.

1. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

Hello everyone, I recently just got given a macbook pro 15" 2012 edition the model is 9,1.

I used to own an old core 2 duo unibody mac and used bootcamp all the time and it worked great...

On this macbook pro when I'm in windows the temps are extremely high... (80 - 90c) doing absolutely nothing (checked task manager incase any software was causing the issue but nothing cpu load is fine)

I hear bootcamp drivers don't support graphics switching so the main GPU is constantly in use but surely the mac shouldn't be this hot doing nothing... The fans are kicking in at maximum RPM after being logged in a few minutes..

When in yosemite the idle temp is 40c

Has bootcamp really became this useless now? is there any solution ?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The cooling technology built into OS X are not being run (obviously) so the MBP runs hotter because of that, power savings is not as efficient, more power equals more heat and as you mentioned, you're stuck using the dGPU - more power and heat again.

3. bmac89 macrumors 6502a

bmac89

Are the fans actually going full RPM or just faster?
    You could give MacFanControl a try. I recently started using it when running windows under bootcamp and find it makes a difference.

4. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

Also use istat menu, they give temperature of everything running in your laptop, and also tell you everything thats happening in your laptop

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

And that doesn't work in Windows.

6. bmac89 macrumors 6502a

bmac89

MacFanControl tells you all the temperatures as well as lets you set fan speed to auto, constant or when reaches certain temp. There is Windows and Mac Version.

Istat menu is only for mac.

7. ri0ku thread starter macrumors 6502a

The fans are going full RPM, pretty much a few minutes after booting. The idle temps are crazy high... 70c, soon as I open a program like 3DS max that quickly rises to 90c but the fans kick in almost straight away.

Anything that needs the GPU kicks the fans to full RPM straight away and the CPU temps are already very high.

I never had this issue in the past just seems to be this 2012 macbook pro. I have read somewhere that you can install windows via EFI which gives you the graphics switching. I wonder if it may be better to install windows 8... and see if the temps are better controlled.

8. ri0ku thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok have managed to solve the issue slightly... but this is still a problem. So I turned off turbo boost which stopped the CPU going to 3.2ghz and now it only maxes at its normal 2.3ghz

This has helped and the fans dont kick off at max straight away, temps are slightly down but not a lot...

So I played a game (CSS) to test how how the temps would get, the fans kicked in as normal but the temps are getting to 105c.... which is extremely high and this is the threshold for intels spec for tempss

Has anyone managed to solve this problem at all... ? its not hardware its got to be driver related.

9. whiteonline macrumors 6502

whiteonline

Your problem is not with hyper threading.
    You need to figure out what is installed that is driving CPU usage.
    Check task manager to see if there is an obvious CPU hog.

10. ri0ku thread starter macrumors 6502a

I havnt done anything with Hyperthreading, I stopped Turbo boost. Its not a CPU usage thing, checked all the usual in task manager, iv reinstalled windows 5 times now trying alternative drivers (old boot camp and the current latest drivers) no different always have the heat issue. When idling the temps are high at the moment there sitting at around 65C. Reaching 105C in a game is just stupid...

I know bootcamp doesnt allow graphics switching so the dedicated gpu is in use constantly but the CPU temps should not be this high.

Has anyone else ran into this problem ? my next step is to reapply thermal paste but I dont think it will honestly make much of a difference, since in OSX the heat is regulated properly I dont have this problem at all.

11. whiteonline macrumors 6502

whiteonline

Turbo boost is what I intended...
    Anyway, the only reason disabling turbo boost would help temperatures is if turbo boost was being activated in the first place - which your actions and results indicate.
    Turbo boost is activated when processes demand the speed.
    Find out what is causing that.

Do you have a 3rd party anti virus program scanning in the background?
    Windows index running?
    You still didn't indicate what you have installed.

12. ri0ku thread starter macrumors 6502a

Turbo boost was in constant operation, I havnt installed any third party software this issue is happening on a clean install with nothing but the bootcamp drivers installed.

I tried reinstalling and using older bootcamp drivers but they gave me a blue screen error and the USB's would not work.

At the moment while typing this the temps are at 70c and im only in Chrome on this forum. Nothing CPU intensive is running according to task manager.

Like I said this is happening on a clean install which is the reason why I think its a bootcamp driver issue. Thanks for the replies though, I am going to try a windows update now incase it improves anything (I havnt ran it yet so theres alot of updates to do)

13. Yoshi Yogurt macrumors regular

The fans rev up nearly all the way sometimes and then back down when using Windows on my Macbook. I have only tested watching youtube and using NX.

On OS X the fans are only audible when running a game. I almost never hear them under normal OS X use.