Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rumbletum

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 2, 2005
Wolverhampton, UK
yankeefan24 said:
As said earlier, rename your drive in windows to .windows

that will make it invisible in Mac OS X.

Just to confirm, I followed this advice and it works.

You're not trying to do it in OSX are you, as I think thats why you're having problems renaming the drive, do it through windows.

Hls811

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2004
New Jersey
rumbletum said:
Just to confirm, I followed this advice and it works.

You're not trying to do it in OSX are you, as I think thats why you're having problems renaming the drive, do it through windows.

Nope - I'm trying in Windows - I wonder if it only works on an NTFS system? ( tired on my "real" windows PC (NTFS) and it allows me to rename it, but when I try on the BootCamp partition (FAT32) it doesn't let me...

I'll try and convert to NTFS to confirm thats the reason.

MacAri

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2005
if you rename the Windows partition to "Windows" in Disk Administrator while in Windows XP Professional it will stick. If you don't want to see the drive upon booting into OS X, you can create a start up script that automatically unmounts the Windows partition.

This works in NTFS.

Hls811 said:
Nope - I'm trying in Windows - I wonder if it only works on an NTFS system? ( tired on my "real" windows PC (NTFS) and it allows me to rename it, but when I try on the BootCamp partition (FAT32) it doesn't let me...

I'll try and convert to NTFS to confirm thats the reason.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.