Bootcamp repartition help.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Shad0wforce, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Shad0wforce macrumors newbie

I got this macbook pro in 2008 and I made a partition for windows shortly after I got it. I allocated a 50GB partition for Windows Vista to be installed on.

A year later I installed the Windows 7 upgrade to the partition. (Note: This means I only have the upgrade disk for Windows 7, not the full installation disk)

Right now I want to increase the size of my partition to 60GB and I want to make sure I take the right steps to make sure this goes smoothly.

I've consulted google about repartitioning the hard drive, but I'm unconvinced of which method is the best way to do this.

I've heard lots of people recommend 3rd party programs, and others say just to wipe and do a clean repartition.

Here are my options:

1) Backup everything and do a clean repartition. (The steps required to restore everything is beyond me at this time). I have an external HDD with a backup, a system restore disk, and a system image prepared. I just don't know what to do with those when it comes to restoring a computer because I've never done that before.

2) Backup everything and use a 3rd party program to make the repartition process easier.

What would you guys recommend I do? Have any of you had experience with this kind of thing?

2. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Go look in the FAQ section here. It answers all of your questions and more.