Bootcamp required image/restore

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by thenewguy, Nov 19, 2008.

1. thenewguy macrumors regular

So I ran into the problem some people have had where you go to set up bootcamp and are told that "some files cannot be moved" and so you can't do it. For some folks a disk repair fixes this, for other folks a deep defrag using idefrag works.

Neither of those worked for me. Then I booted into an OSX Leopard disc, ran disk utility, and created an image of my disk. I then tried restoring that image to the disk, which many people had said worked for them (since the image is compressed and restores in a 'defragged' sort of way), but again that did NOT work.

Here's what finally did work: I re-formatted my HDD and reinstalled a totally fresh copy of leopard. As soon as it was up I ran bootcamp, created my partition and installed Vista. No problems this time running Bootcamp. Then once Vista was up and running, I booted into Disk Utility again and restored the image I created back to my Mac HDD partition.

Presto. That seems to have worked.

phew!

2. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

That's why in the "cannot do" box it pops up, it tells you to image and REFORMAT, not image and RESTORE. The freshly "recreated", if you will, HDD I guess allows it to do everything completely right.