BootCamp: Restart into OS X from Windows Logon Screen

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by iVirusYx, Nov 24, 2015.

?

Was this thread useful?

1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I have concerns...

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. iVirusYx, Nov 24, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2015

iVirusYx macrumors newbie

iVirusYx

Introduction

I love to write introductions and life stories. So if you don't like to read my cool story bro, then just skip to the TL;DR and read on.

So I recently bought a new unflashed (none Mac EFI) Zotac Geforce GTX970 for my MacPro 4.1. With the Web Drivers installed it works very well under OS X and also in my Windows 7 BootCamp it works perfectly fine.

Now I have multiple problems with this:
    • My family is also using the computer under OS X. I use the Windows BootCamp for gaming and development purposes. So I showed them how to use the target disk mode in case I forget to switch back. Now this doesn't work anymore because there is no pre-OS (boot) screen anymore.

• So I proceeded to create a restricted account for them on Windows BootCamp so that they can use the BootCamp Control Panel to restart in OS X.
      But as I'm using an HDD and not an SSD for my BootCamp and I have basically a huge garbage OS, the logon takes ages... Even if I want to use OS X, it p***es me always off to wait for the system to load my profile until I'm able to use the BootCamp Control Panel. My family is equally p***ed off at this.
    So now I was considering a way to offer an option to restart into OS X from the Windows Logon Screen. As I have a little development background I looked into developing a Custom Credential Provider, but this currently takes me too much time to realize as I'm not a C++ expert.

So I did some research to find a faster possibility and I found that you can actually replace the "Ease of Access" button as long as you don't need the accessibility features. And that's basically the idea of this thread: open the BootCamp Control Panel from the Windows Logon Screen to select a drive to boot into.

I think you can see where I'm going. You can also use this method if you missed to press the option key on startup and need to restart and try again.

TL;DR: I'm tired of waiting for my Windows 7 BootCamp installation to log into my profile in order to use the BootCamp Control Panel so that I'm then finally able to restart into OS X. So I want to make the BootCamp Control Panel available on the Windows Logon Screen for Ease of Use ;)

EaseOfAccess_thumb.png

BootCampLogonScreen_Capture.jpeg

Tested on
    • Windows 7
    • Windows 8
    How to

Disclaimer: I do not take any responsibility if you trash your system, if some features stop working correctly or if the security of your system gets compromised. Create a System Restore Point and make the necessary backups.

1. Locate the executable "Utilman.exe" in "\Windows\System32" of your system drive, in my case that's "C:"
      Utilman_Capture.PNG

2. Take the Ownership of that executable. I assigned the ownership to the local Administrators group.
      Right-click 'Utilman.exe' > Properties > Security > Advanced > Change Owner

TakeOwnership_Capture.PNG

3. Add "Full Control" to the user or group that you assigned Ownership to in the step above.
      Right-click 'Utilman.exe' > Properties > Security > Edit...
      Now click Add... to add a new user or group or in my case I select the local Administrators group and select "Allow" for the option "Full Control".

FullControl_Capture.PNG

4. Rename "Utilman.exe" into something else like "Utilman_bak.exe"

UtilmanBAK_Capture.PNG

5. Now search for "AppleControlPanel.exe" in the same directory (".\Windows\Systems32") and make a copy.

AppleControlPanelCopy_Capture.PNG

6. Rename the copy of "AppleControlPanel.exe" into "Utilman.exe".
      AppleControlPanelCopyRename_Capture.png

7. Voila! You can now use the BootCamp Control Panel on the Windows Logon Screen!

BootCampLogonScreen_Capture.jpeg

2. iVirusYx thread starter macrumors newbie

iVirusYx