Bootcamp restart issue - Option won't work after Windows restart

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by zauriel, Apr 28, 2007.

1. zauriel macrumors member

zauriel

This is a problem I've noticed on two Macs I currently own. First I had my 20" iMac with Vista installed, and currently I have a 24" iMac with XP installed. In both cases, when I'm in Windows and need to restart (for whatever reason) and want to go back into Windows instead of OS X, the Option key does not function correctly to bring up the OS select screen, and instead will go straight to OS X, as that is the default OS I have set up to boot into.

So basically, if I restart from OS X, the Option key works fine and I can choose to go into Windows, but restart from Windows and I have no choice in the matter, it makes me go into OS X. Any idea why?

My first thought is that it has to do with the fact that I'm using Apple's bluetooth keyboard (and mouse), but once the computer has actually restarted, why would it matter? Does the computer remember the BIOS from Windows when it restarts, and therefore fails to recognize my bluetooth? For the record I have to turn my keyboard off then on again when entering windows to get it to be recognized and work, but not the mouse, which works fine. Suggestions?

2. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

Hm Odd problem, I know a"forced" way to work around is *i havnt used an xp machine in ages* in control panel select the bootdrive, jsut click on the one you want and restart that way. My friends computer was restarting in xp, and wouldnt go to osx.

:)

3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

It sounds like your BT keyboard is not recognized soon enough in the boot process to read the Alt/Option key in time to give you the option.

You could always select the start up disc the old fashioned way via Control Panels.

4. zauriel thread starter macrumors member

zauriel

Thanks for the advice

Yeah, for a manual restart that works. But when it's a forced restart (a program just installed, etc.), it's not really an option. I just thought that the bluetooth problems would get fixed with the last Bootcamp update that included new drivers. I had this problem prior to the update and thought the new drivers were going to be the solution (along with having to re-start my keyboard every time I got into Windows).

Unfortunately not only did it not fix it, but my sticky keys (volume, eject) now don't work, though they did prior to the update. I'm hoping Apple resolves this when they officially release it in Leopard (or even better, in another update before Leopard :) ).

5. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Try rEFIt. I don't know whether or not the keyboard will be recognized, but it's worth a shot.

6. Celeron macrumors 6502a

Same problem here, I'm also using the BT wireless keyboard from Apple. It works when I reboot out of OSX but not out of Windows. I haven't been able to figure it out. The only way it works when Windows reboots is via a wired keyboard, which is obviously less than ideal.

7. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

You could always use a wired keyboard. ;)

How about defaulting the start up drive for Windows.

Then when you want to boot into Mac OS, you would need to do the Alt/Option key routine.

8. charonelson macrumors newbie

(apple)BTkeyboard & bootcamp:alt/option fails to open boot drive selection screen

Hi. I want to let you know I thought I was stuck in Windows forever.
    Within MacOS it was easy enough to go to System Preferences~>Startup Disk and choose Mac or Windows for next startup option. It was not so obvious in Windows for me ( I kept trying to get my keyboard automatically detected in order to use the alt/option method of system selection) I tried different bluetooth driver options to fix the automatic keyboard recognition issue. Nada. Then, out of the blue, there was a grey diamond icon in my Windows notification bar. It was the Bootcamp icon! which gave me the option to restart in Mac, or to choose Windows or Mac as the startup disk. Hallelujah! Then... it was gone.
    So, I looked for a way to add that magical diamond to my Windows notification bar.
    This is how it goes:
    ~>right click on the notification bar at the very bottom right of your windows screen (otherwise known as the Taskbar)- it's a small area so be sure to click IN it but, not ON the icons within it
    ~>select PROPERTIES
    ~>*uncheck LOCK THE TASKBAR (* I don't know if that was necessary, but; things went well from there for me.)
    ~>Advance down to CUSTOMIZE and select it.
    You now have a list of customizable notifications! All you do from here is decide which BEHAVIOR you want Bootcamp to take (options include HIDE WHEN INACTIVE, ALWAYS SHOW,...)
    ~> select ALWAYS SHOW! Now that little grey diamond will always be there at the bottom of your windows screen. Just click on it and decide which system you want for the next boot up.
    Happy wireless Bootcamping to you!

9. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

Thanks charonelson for the insight. My issue is when I want to go from OS to Windows 7. Is there a way to "boot into Windows 7" from Mac OS without restarting and pushing the "option" key? I can't do this as I have a bluetooth keyboard and mouse and when I reboot from Mac OS my bluetooth functionality goes out the window and I can't select windows without a wired mouse.

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Look into Boot Champ http://www.kainjow.com/

B

11. ahaley macrumors newbie

I am having a related problem.

I have been running Snow Leopard with a Windows 7 partition with no trouble. That is, until I set Windows 7 as the Startup Disc in the OSX system preferences.

Now my machine boots to Windows by default. I thought I would be able to option-boot to the startup screen and choose Snow Leopard when necessary. BUT this is not working! When I hold option at boot, it just loads Windows, not the startup screen.

Also, as far as I can tell, Windows 7 does not have the "grey diamond" icon found in the XP task bar that auto-boots to OSX.

Can anyone please advise me on to get back into OSX ?

12. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

Thanks balamw bootchamp works awesome. Now I can switch between the two OS's without a hitch in my bluetooth operations.