Bootcamp Restarting Issues

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by AustinZ, Jul 25, 2010.

1. AustinZ macrumors member

AustinZ

I've been having two (admittedly minor) issues with my Macbook Pro (15" 2010) running OSX and Windows XP via Boot Camp.

1. When I'm in XP, and I want to reboot the computer in OSX, and I right-click on the little grey diamond in the system tray and select 'Restart in Mac OS X', the computer stops responding. I can move the mouse around, but everything else is completely stuck (can't click on icons, buttons, etc) and the computer doesn't restart. If I go to the Control Panel, select the OSX disk, and then restart the computer using the Start menu, it works just fine.

2. When I'm in OSX and I want to restart the computer in XP, and I go to the Boot Camp preferences panel, and I select the Windows disk and press the button to restart, sometimes the computer stops responding. All the applications close down and disappear until only the Dock is left. The Dock doesn't go away, though, and the computer doesn't restart.

Has anyone had any similar experiences? I did a search but couldn't find any substantive information.

2. Jottle macrumors 6502

I had this problem as well at one point. I would try uninstalling your bootcamp drivers from your snow leopard disk (or whatever disk you installed them from), then reinstalling them and updating to bootcamp 3.1

3. valvehead macrumors regular

Considering that you're having problems with the startup disk method in both Windows and OS X, your Mac may be having problems writing the value to PRAM. Try resetting PRAM by holding down CMD + OPT + P + R at startup until you hear the startup chime a second time.