Bootcamp Shared Folder?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by umbilical, Oct 10, 2008.

1. umbilical macrumors 6502a

hi there, I want install bootcamp, beacuse I dont like parallels... I dont care if I need restart for run windows with bootcamp, but! my question is if with bootcamp I can shared files between mac os x and windows... like parallels option that works great (I put shared the Public folder in mac os x with parallels so all files that I drop in public folder I can use on windows), thats good but I dont if with bootcamp have something like that.

thanks

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

If you're installing Windows XP you can format the Boot Camp partition as FAT which allows the Mac OS read/write permissions on that partition. The "catch" is that the Windows partition must be less than 32 GB. If you're installing Vista you can only format as NTFS, however.

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

you can install MacFUSE + NTFS3g to allow write support for NTFS in OS X and MacDrive to allow HFS+ read and write support in Windows.

4. umbilical thread starter macrumors 6502a

I use WIN XP PRO, so I format on FAT, but where find the folder to share? bootcamp have a option like parallels to say whats the shared folder?

thanks

5. JediMeister macrumors 68040

After the drive has been formatted as FAT, the entire drive is accessible in either Mac OS or XP.

6. umbilical thread starter macrumors 6502a

but that is dangerous not? if I get a virus on windows and I get a virus that erase files, they can erase files of mac os x or of my files like music folder, sites, movies etc... ? beacuse the drive is acccesible. :eek:

make sense?

7. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

No, the partition is accessible from the Mac side, not vice versa. XP won't be able to see the OS X partition.

8. IWLTJONP macrumors newbie

MacFUSE + NTFS3g = ?????

RichThomas and others have mentioned combining MacFUSE + NTFS3g to allow read/write access to a Windows partition from the Mac side. This is great, and I've downloaded and installed both, but now I'm unsure how to actually implement this. Optimally, I'd want to create a "sharedfolder" inside the windows partition, and be able to drag a file into there, reboot in Vista, and work on that file. Can anybody help?