Bootcamp shot after battery drain

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by madferret, Mar 16, 2014.

1. madferret macrumors newbie

I recently installed Windows 7 via Bootcamp in Mavericks, running on a Macbook 13" late 2008, w/ SSD.

Everything was running fine, until I ran out of battery and the computer died while I was working in Windows. After that, I could not boot into Windows (would just get a black screen when normally there would be "Windows starting...").

I then tried booting via the Windows 7 installation DVD, and got the same black screen.

Then I booted into Mavericks, removed the Windows partition via Bootcamp assistant, remade the partition, and attempted to install Windows 7 via BC assistant. Again, same black screen when the Windows installation was supposed to be starting.

I have no idea what to do. Any help would be appreciated.

2. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

I'm no expert for sure.... Seems if you follow your same process as above, but slightly change the size of your partitions, then it will cause your machine look at what your doing as a new procedure and accept the reinstall as a new install.

3. elgrecomac, Apr 7, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2014

elgrecomac macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

To quote Steve Jobs...and one more thing...

Sorry to hear your bootcamp partition was trashed. It seems to happen from time to time on my system as well. My very very strong recommendation is to purchase the software WinClone which will make a backup of your bootcamp image (which I do every time I use windows and make significant changes). Winclone saves the bootcamp image and then, if you need to restore after a hard disk issue, you can repartition your hard drive with a new FAT32 partition and restore (using Winclone) the image into that space. Works like a charm.

Also, use some cloud-based storage or an external drive for your docs so if your bootcamp partition get wiped out, your files are save.

Ping me if you need more info on WinClone.