Bootcamp Slow load time

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by FireSokar, Jul 23, 2010.

1. FireSokar macrumors regular

I have a MBP 13" 2.66ghz, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD. I used bootcamp and setup the drives 150~ for each partition. I installed Windows 7 64bit for some reason when its loading I sit at the Welcome screen for a unusually long time. Several older laptops can bootup (timing past the black windows logo) almost twice as fast. One of the older laptops I am talking about is 2.0ghz core 2 duo. My Macbook air 2.2ghz loaded 2x as fast I know the SSD in the device should make it the same speed as my MBP, but why is the MBP so slow?

2. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

This is 100% incorrect.

The SSD in your MacBook Air will make any disk reading intensive operation, like booting, much faster on the Air than your MacBook Pro with its mechanical hard drive.

3. FireSokar thread starter macrumors regular

Macbook Air aside, why is the Macbook Pro taking 15 seconds on the "Welcome" screen

4. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I don't know. I am not at all familiar with Windows. I don't know the screen you are talking about.

5. Jottle macrumors 6502

I've had this issue before. It may be due to a missing network drive that windows keeps searching for. I've had this happen when I run my bootcamp drive in virtualization through vmware fusion. Open up "my computer" in win7 and see if there are any drives that have an "x" through them or the icon appears grey (as if they drive is disconnected but win7 is still trying to load it). These drives make the login screen hang. See if you have those drives in your "my computer." Then right click on the drive and unmount or eject it. Alternatively, just right click on "my computer" and select "disconnect network drive." Then disconnect any drives listed in the window that opens. Now try restarting bootcamp to see if that speeds up the welcome screen. Otherwise, you may have installed a bunch of programs that run at startup and are causing the welcome screen to display longer than it usually should.

6. FireSokar thread starter macrumors regular

Just tried it, didnt change anything. I constantly monitor my startup apps and nothing launches with my system. There is also a long black screen w/ mouse before the Welcome screen. in total its 15-20 seconds to get to the desktop.

7. TZRaceR6 Guest

TZRaceR6

Well, I think it is safe to assume that if you are booting up on the bootcamp side and you have a black screen with cursor blinking for more than 25 seconds, we know why.
    Windows security is a b!tch to bypass, which is why most of those illegal copies out there take an unusually long time to boot.

8. FireSokar thread starter macrumors regular

I am a MSDN Developer, I am provided several MSDN Keys for the products it is not a WAT issue. The black screen has a mouse cursor not a dos cursor. It is within the Windows GUI not a dos program aka loader.

9. TZRaceR6 Guest

TZRaceR6

Ahhh gotcha. The DOS cursor is a dead give away for illegal copies. Mouse cursor sounds like a driver issue.
    I can tell you this though (since we have the same computer), I had a hell of a time installing Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. Kept giving me issues (similar to what you are describing.) Got fed up with it and went back to 32bit. Never did figure out the issue. Ran out of patience. I simply don't use Windows enough to bother, however, sounds like you def need the 64 bit version.