Bootcamp = SLOW OS X Boot?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ccalleri, Jul 12, 2007.

1. ccalleri macrumors member

Ever since I've uninstalled Bootcamp, my mac seems to take longer to boot, only at the startup screen with the mac logo. Any thoughts?:confused:

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Use Disk Utility to verify your drive. If it needs repairs then boot from the OSX discs and use that version of Disk Utility to repair it. :)

3. ccalleri thread starter macrumors member

4. andrewheard macrumors regular

Try going into System Preferences, Startup Disk and reselecting the Macintosh HD as your boot drive.

5. ccalleri thread starter macrumors member

it worked! .. thanks! .. now my imac starts up in 10 seconds!!!!!

6. aansa macrumors newbie

I have also found a longer boot-up time for mac os after installing bootcamp. Tried to verify the start up disk but there were no errors found and hence repair did not make any difference to the start up time.
    Any more suggestions??????

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What sort of peripherals do you have plugged in? What's listed in your StartupItems folder (find it with Spotlight) and your Login Items in System Preferences? Also, how much free space do you have on your boot drive? :)

8. aansa macrumors newbie

In my StartUpItems folder i have missing sync listener showing up. I have no peripherals plugged in and i do not know how to find the login items in system preferences. If it is the same as login items under accounts then that includes itunes helper, mising sync wm monitor, microsoft au deamon and microsft database daemon.

Thanks....

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah they're the Login items I was talking about. Sorry for not being more specific. :eek:

Remove everything except the iTunes Helper. Is it quicker now?

10. aansa macrumors newbie

Sorry to sound completely ignorant but to remove them do I just delete them?
    Should I save them some where else for later use or will I never need them?
    Thanks for your help!

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Drag all the StartupItems to the Desktop and select the Login Items and press the minus button to get rid of 'em. :)

12. aansa macrumors newbie

Done it. Tried rebooting a few times. On a couple of tries it took even longer to boot but on most may be slightly quicker.:confused:
    Am I just blaming my computer for my high expectations?

13. andrewheard macrumors regular

Did you try doing what I said in an earlier post? After installing boot camp the selected startup disk can get screwed up causing the computer to sit idle at a grey screen for a while during startup. Reselecting Macintosh HD is worth a try as it only takes 10 seconds.

14. aansa macrumors newbie

Yes. I have tried reselecting Mac HD as the start up disc......

15. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Do you have any hardware plugged in? Sometimes a hub or external drive can slow down the startup process.

Also, are you finding the lag is coming from the first part of the startup process, or the second part (login)? :)

16. aansa macrumors newbie

No I do not have any hardware plugged in.
    It is taking longer for the initial blank screen part as well as the timer running screen as well. Initially the timer would go round a couple of times where as now it takes at least 5 full turns before the desktop opens.