Bootcamp: Switching from Mac to Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Snapple123, Aug 17, 2010.

1. Snapple123 macrumors newbie

I installed Windows 7 on my new iMac using Bootcamp. On the Windows side, there is a little icon that lets me reboot to the Mac side fairly quickly and without holding down the "option" key. Yesterday, on the mac side, I'm pretty sure there was a little red button that let me do the same, (switch to Windows fairly quickly....) == now it is gone, and the only way to switch from Mac to Windows is to reboot and hold down the 'option' key. Any ideas out there?

Thanks.

2. celticpride678

Nope, there aren't any buttons that let you do that in Mac OS X.

3. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

Install rEFIt. It lets you boot into either partition without holding down anything. Every time you reboot you will get the option.

4. feeth macrumors 6502

Thank you! I just installed Boot Champ and it works great.

On the w7 side, where is the button that lets you easily go back over to mac? :eek:

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

It's in the system tray. (Bottom right). May be hidden.

B

6. feeth macrumors 6502

I just did BC on my 13 MBP and I see it in the tray when i click to show everything, but I don't see it on my 27" iMac. Is there a file I can DL or should I just run the OSX disc again?

TIA!

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Try Apple Software Update to make sure you have the latest drivers first, but if it still doesn't show up reinstall Boot Camp drivers from the OS X disc.

B

8. feeth macrumors 6502

Thank you! I will give it a try later this evening.

EDIT: Had to go to the Boot Camp drivers, but all is well now. TY!

9. Snapple123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Bootchamp worked great......is there another easy utility that will let me transfer files from one side, (PC to Mac, or Mac to PC) to another?

10. thankins macrumors 6502

Check out MacFuse - it should do what you want.

And if BootChamp isn't what you are looking for try QuickBoot. Sets in the menubar and allows you to boot into Bootcamp quickly

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/32869

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I'm not a fan of any of these kinds of NTFS drivers for Mac or HFS+ drivers for Windows. (e.g. MacDrive). Snow Leopard comes with read only drivers for NTFS (PC->Mac) under Mac OS and HFS+ (Mac->PC) under Windows.

Depending on the type and size of files you need to both read and write to from both OSes, you can add a FAT32 formatted SD card or flash drive for read/write access or use a NAS if you have larger files or more devices.

B

12. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

You could also simply go into disk utility and make a partition on your hard drive that you can use for files you want to share between OSs.

13. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The reason I did not include that as a recommendation to the average user is that it breaks Boot Camp Assistant. BCA will not be able to remove Windows if a third partition has been added. Similar to why I don't like the read/write drivers. More chances for things to go wrong or be misunderstood by mistake.

Works fine if you already know what you are doing, not so great if you don't, and most of the folks coming here for help don't know what they are doing or they wouldn't need help.

B