BOOTCAMP to parallel run

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by frangos, Dec 1, 2014.

1. frangos macrumors newbie

Hello guys,

I am new to the forum as well as the mac world. I am really happy with my macbook pro i7 and i have 1TB hard drive which i split into two 512GB one half for the os and the other half for windows 7.

Now i realised that i prefer to run my operating systems in parallel. Is there any way i can do that? with vmware or parallel or even virtualbox? What i want to do is basically not having to restart in order to use my windows. so basically i want to access my bootcamp directly.

Also i was wondering if there is a way, will i have my HDD removed from partition or will the partition will stay until the next format?

Please let me know if you have any suggestions.
    Thank you in advance

2. nerowolfe macrumors member

Though I haven't tried it my self, to my knowledge you have an option to migrate a bootcamp Windows OS to Parallels Desktop when you choose to add a new virtual machine using it. You may download the trial version of Parallels Desktop and see how that goes (assuming trial allows that feature which I think it does.)

You can remove your bootcamp partition once you migrate your Windows OS, using the Boot Camp Assistant, which is part of the Mac OS X.

3. frangos thread starter macrumors newbie

so basically i need to install parallels, then create a copy of windows on the mac side and also then remove the partition?

thank you for your help :):apple:

4. nerowolfe macrumors member

[​IMG]

Correct. Once you migrate boot camp Windows to mac, please make sure the size of the VM file created is roughly the same as the space used on your boot camp partition, just to be on the safe side, before you attempt to delete it.