Bootcamp to Parallel

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hrv888, Jan 27, 2015.

1. hrv888 macrumors regular

So I have rmbp 13 with 16gb of ram and I am currently running windows on bootcamp to run excel. However, I find myself missing the mac os when I am on windows since most of my files are on mac and even my calendar and email. I was wondering if buying parallel 10 would be worth it at student price and would it be easy to use if I mainly need windows for microsoft office?
    How do I do this if ever? Can I just migrate my whole partition of windows to parallel and delete the partition that I currently have on my laptop? How do I do it? Or a clean install of everything would be easier?

Thanks

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

You can just migrate your BC partition to Parallels easily.

Parallels is totally worth it.

3. hrv888 thread starter macrumors regular

What's BC? sorry not really familiar with all the terms. Can I delete my partition of bootcamp afterwards and get the disk space back?

4. SkimMilk168 macrumors regular

BC = bootcamp? :p

5. hrv888 thread starter macrumors regular

Now that felt quite stupid! hahaha Thank you for replying.

6. hrv888 thread starter macrumors regular

Another question. Windows is not activated on my parallels? When I try to use the same activation code, it tells me that the activation code is being used on another device. I did parallel on my bootcamp? does that make sense? How do I activate it then? Or should I just install windows on parallel and delete my bootcamp entirely?

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

Since parallels is virtualizing, Windows thinks it is running on different hardware, hence why it says it's activated on another machine.

Give a ring to Microsoft, they'll sort you out quickly.

Alternatively you could just setup a virtual machine with excel installed and delete your bootcamp partition altogether.