Bootcamp (transferring boot drive)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by duncan916, Jan 25, 2013.

1. duncan916 macrumors newbie

Hi. I have a boot drive with windows on one macbook pro that I want to transfer to another macbook pro.

So far I've tried creating an image of the first boot drive on an external hard drive and using the disk utility to restore the partition on the second macbook pro.

The problem I've encountered is an error that says something like "must verify target media" or "must verify target volume" but I've tried verifying both the source image and the target partition on my macbook pro

How can I restore the partition I've created with the image of the boot drive?

My biggest question is this: The original boot drive in formatted in NTFS and the partition I created on my macbook pro is FAT. Will this work?

FAT was the only windows file system option in disk utility when I created the partition

2. Freyqq, Jan 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2013

Freyqq macrumors 68040

Try sending the partition over and then boot from the windows DVD and repair the installation. I have a feeling that the MBR needs fixing. Just a guess though. Also keep in mind that you'll have to reactivate windows. Also, when you restore the partition, it should overwrite it and restore it in NTFS since the source is NTFS. I don't think that is the issue.