Bootcamp trouble

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by npriess, Nov 12, 2008.

1. npriess macrumors regular

Hi

I received my Macbook Pro yesterday and tried installing Windows XP via bootcamp.
    I made a 30gb partition for xp, inserted disc and then it automatically rebooted and started installation of windows xp.

In the windows xp 'installer' only a 130gb drive appeared and i formatted that one and began installation. But it crashes somewhere and reboots.

When I shut it down and power it again, it starts the xp installation again.
    I think I might have screwed Mac OS X, but how do I get the CD out and do it all over again?

I'm using genuine windows xp, no service pack. (Danish)

2. mknawabi macrumors 6502

mknawabi

That 130gb partition was your OS X install. Did it show anything like "30GB Unformatted" ?

You're probably going to have to reinstall OS X and start over. If you dont have the OS X CDs, call up apple and ask for them to ship you a new pair.

3. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

you MUST have an XP CD with AT LEAST SP2 included on the disc.

download an ISO that includes SP3 from the pirate bay, and use your valid XP key.

however it sounds like you have overwritten OSX.

(confirm that OSX IS gone, before doing the following!)
    boot from your OSX DVD, hold "c" during boot, use disk utility in the tools menu to reformat the drive, install OSX, and then try the bootcamp process again.

4. npriess thread starter macrumors regular

You might be right I have overwritten the OS X partition. But it was the only one visible.

When I reinstall OS X, how should I do it? create one big partition or how is it working?

Why service pack 2 or higher?

I would prefer to use my own - which is danish and impossible to find @ piratebay. Could I slip service pack 2 into a new cd using nLite for example?

5. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

i can't recall how the bootcamp drive shows up in the XP setup. from memory i think after you run bootcamp utility, there is a second partition called bootcamp that you select in the XP setup.

when you reisntall osx, create one partition again, and use bootcamp util again to partition the drive for XP.

i don't know why you need SP2 or higher, it's just a requirement.

yes you can use nlite to slipstream SP3 into your XP disc.

6. npriess thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, I'll try reinstalling OS X and slipstream service pack into my XP CD.

In windows installation, there was ONLY 1 partition (130gb)... which I don't understand. My HDD is @ 250gb...

Last thing, how do I get my XP CD out of the drive? :S

7. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Oops too slow- but do check the link below anyways! :eek:

As far as reinstalling prior to trying again, the drive needs to be just 1 full size partition. Since your machine is so new, selecting the "erase and install" method would work out fine at the point in the OSX installer that you are presented with choices.

As to why SP2 the simple answer is that the Boot Camp Assistant as designed by Apple makes that a minimum requirement. While I can only provide a link to the section on the US site, Apple has an extensive Boot Camp information center that has all the requirements and an excellent downloadable step by step guide to installation at Boot Camp Support.

While I have not done it personally, I have heard of people slipstreaming XP disks and using them successfully, so hopefully that will work for you!

Good luck in starting over!

8. npriess thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all answers, I will try reinstalling when I come home :)

I don't think it sounds possible, but could it be Bootcamp is not compatible with Danish windows xp?

9. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

You should be able to get it out by restarting your computer and then clicking and holding your trackpad right after you restart until the disk ejects.

EDIT: Just saw your other question-- I don't think the Danish version of XP should be a problem as the requirements don't list that, but that could be because I am reading the US site. The service pack issue is a definite stopper though!

10. npriess thread starter macrumors regular

Again, thanks a lot. I'll try it when I get home :)

11. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i am not sure why there was only the small partition.

i think only the Mac Os partition was there because bootcamp only partitions the drive for you, when you boot into the windows installation disc you need to format the drive yourself. (maybe).

12. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

The partition displays "Boot Camp" in the name, and should have been like 29.xx MB (where the OP was using 30GB for it).

Sounds like the Boot Camp Assistant just didn't partition it off right and that you did, indeed, try and install over OS X.

When you get it all sorted out, run the assistant again, then try and install Windows again. Before starting the installation process, when it asks you if you would like to reformat select YES and reformat the partition in either FAT-32 or NTFS (the Boot Camp Assistant doesn't format it when it partitions it off, I would screw up at this part all the time).

13. npriess thread starter macrumors regular

I have now booted up the OS X install DVD and entered the 'Disk Utily'.

It shows:

232,9GB Hitachi.... bla bla
    disc0

When I select one of them I can see the tab called 'Delete', but I am unable to select anything.

How do I erase EVERYTHING and start all over again?

Sorry if the translation is not done properly. My OS is not in english.

14. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Actually to make things simple you don't need to worry about it in Disk Utility before the install. Just go ahead and start the installer and you will get to a point that it will ask you what type of installation you want. Selecting "Erase and Install" will go ahead and erase your disk for you first and then will do a new installation on the fresh disk!

BTW- The translation is fine!

15. npriess thread starter macrumors regular

I called AppleCare support and got some help :)

I had to open terminal and use a command to unlock the drive. But it's running just fine now.

16. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

awsome to hear i hope everything works out good for you!!!