Bootcamp Update

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Patrick J, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

Should I wait for the Bootcamp Update before installing W7? Or can I install now and update it later?

2. sash macrumors 6502a

sash

I believe, it depends on how tired you are of your previous version of windows. If you’re almost losing it, install it now. I’ve did it yesterday, not everything is working (but hey, that’s why people invented windows: to **** up our life), but as I come from a disaster called vista, it’s worth it.

Apple‘s update may come soon, may not, it could be as bad as 2.1 (which didn’t install on a lot of machines, including all of mine ones), — I wouldn’t count too much on this new BC.

Yes, among others, apple modem is not recognized by W7. If you need it for some reason in windows, that could be a problem.

But it works with the current BC drivers.

sash

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Given the fact that the vista drivers work under windows 7 and many people have successfully loaded win7 on their macs. I'd say no, go for it.

I'm running win7 under bootcamp myself. At least its loaded, I found that I have little use for bootcamp and prefer running win7 under vmware.

4. Saladsamurai macrumors regular

I installed it on my late 2006 MBP. It is failing pretty miserably. It can't restart and sometimes when it does start, it just shuts down at random. Of course, my experience may be unique. The install process did not go too smoothly for me, so that might be the problem. I will attempt to reinstall soon to see of that fixes things.

5. Patrick J thread starter macrumors 65816

Patrick J

It's just to get a few games running so there is no problem in wiping it when the update comes out, however since the microphone doesn't work I will wait.

6. sash macrumors 6502a

sash

No, Saladsamurai, your experience with W7 on a 2006 MBP is not unique. I've installed W7 on such a machine: it's simply inacceptable bad. Actually, it doesn't work. Extreme screen problems, disturbed image, black screen, random shutdowns. Apple does not plan supporting these machines, if I'm right. Which is a great pity, at least for me... Don't see the logic of such a move.

But no all too big issues on 2008 MP.

sash

7. Saladsamurai macrumors regular

I don't want to derail this thread, but I am going to ask anyway since it might be pertinent to the OP since they did not state what machine they are running: Will installing Win7 using VM Ware remedy this? I have a feeling it will, but rather not shell out the money if it does not. I will just get an OEM of WinXP (I just might do this anyway).

8. sash macrumors 6502a

sash

Same here: sorry for the off topic, but it would be nice if anybody with similar hard could give an advice.

sash

9. sash macrumors 6502a

sash

Hi,

Once again sorry for the off topic: I’ve installed (try and buy version of) Parallels on this 2006 MBP — and W7 works quite well: no more black screens, no more visual distortion, no more random shutouts. Strange. Of course, I’m not quite sure yet if it’ll stay in this way for a longer time.

I‘ll post here my findings after some time.

Cheers,
    sash

10. Saladsamurai macrumors regular

Thanks for posting back sash! It never occurred to me that there was a free trial of VW! I should try that out.