Bootcamp using Parallels - URGENT

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by didii, May 16, 2011.

1. didii macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm in serious trouble!
    Planning to sell this mac, and I have already a buyer. But I've just messed up this mac for trying to enlarge the windows partition. Result: both OS's stopped working. I really want to sell this mac properly. He asked for keeping BootCamp active.

Some months ago I've found a very easy way of installing Windows 7 using BootCamp and Parallels Desktop, but I can't find the guide anymore.. I tried doing it from what I could remember, but never succeeded. It sort of went like this:

You need:
    • rEFit
    • Parallels Desktop
    • iso file for installing Windows 7
    • BootCamp Assinstant
    • NO cd's or dvd's
    Steps:
    1. Make a BootCamp partition using BootCamp Assistant
    2. Start Parallels Desktop
    3. Set some settings I can't remember
    4. Create the VM
    5. Go to configuration of VM and change hard disc, cd/dvd and boot order
    6. Start installing Windows 7 with Parallels
    7. During one of the restarts while installing, stop the VM and restart your computer booting from the BootCamp partition (with rEFit)
    8. Complete the rest of the installation of Windows 7
    As I recall, the guide worked with Parallels Desktop 4, and it worked for me with version 5. My most successful run ended with the final restart, while restarting it got stuck on a black screen with a blinking cursor at the top left.

I'm really desperate. Searching the internet for a full 2 days brought me nothing.

If anyone could complete those steps I'd be enormously grateful!

Thanks in advance!

2. tjb1 macrumors 68000

Cant you just install it via bootcamp and instruct parallels to use the bootcamp partition? I did that before...

3. didii thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, that's what I did. Thanks for the fast reply, but i found the solution.
    The problem had nothing to do with the install, the black screen with the blinking cursor had something to do with the OEM.

Here is the solution for anyone else experiencing this problem:
    • Start Mac and launch the VM via Parallels
    • Starup with Install disc and go to repair
    • Open cmd and type following commands:
    • Bootrec.exe /FixMbr
    • Bootrec.exe /FixBoot
    • Bootrec.exe /RebuildBcd
    • Shut down the VM and restart via the BootCamp partition
    Now it should be working!