Bootcamp v Parallels Questions

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by MiniD3, Oct 2, 2014.

1. MiniD3 macrumors 6502a

MiniD3

Hi Guys,
    I have very little need for Windows but would be nice to have for a couple of reasons,
    I have just purchased a new GPS for my 4x4 trips, unfortunately, updates and mapping software can only run on a PC,
    The only other use is the program that monitors my house solar panel stats, also, only accessible with a PC

1. Which is safer, bootcamp or parallels?
    2. Due to price, is Windows 7 good enough?
    3. Can I put Windows on an external drive and keep it off my mac altogether

My operating system is
    iMac 27" 2012
    32GB ram
    750GB SSD
    Screen Shot 2014-10-03 at 2.16.28 pm.png
    ......Gary

2. JoshuaOhler, Oct 17, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2014

JoshuaOhler macrumors newbie

In my opinio Bootcamp is good.. My friend is using it so I have shared my opinion..

3. freeskier93 macrumors 6502

For what you want I would just run Windows 7 with Virtualbox. Virtualbox is free and gets the job done. If you want something more feature rich then use Fusion or Parallels.

4. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

1. Both are safe. I prefer Parallels because BootCamp drivers are bad.

2. Windows 7 should be good enough. But I recommend choosing the most current version of Windows, which is Windows 8.1.

3. I don't know, but perhaps you can do that.

5. say19 macrumors member

1. They are more or less equally safe depending on how you use them. If you transfer files between your two environments (Mac and Win), then theoretically there is greater risk. In practice it's the same for Parallels and Bootcamp.

2. Win7 is good enough but MS have said they will give a free Win10 upgrade to owners of Win8 (I believe that's true anyway). If so, you may be better off getting Win 8.

3. Your best plan is to install Windows on your internal (speed; that's the way Bootcamp expects it to work), and then install apps on an external drive. I have done that for ages and it works fine. If you have limited speed (USB2 drives for eg) and it's critical for your app, you can install that particular app on your internal partition of course.

6. MiniD3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MiniD3

Tks guys,

Been a bit slow out of the blocks, too much happening! :)
    I have purchased Windows 8.1, full version with CD
    Haven't got parallels yet but that is the way I'm going
    Feedback has been excellent!
    A more informed decision is the way to go!
    Regards,
    Gary