Bootcamp Vertex2 in optibay issue!

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Prime85, May 2, 2013.

1. Prime85 macrumors 6502a

Prime85

I am trying to install bootcamp win8 in my optibay on my 15" MBP. When i select the SSD in the bootcamp menu and try to erase it nothing happens and the continue button is greyed out. With other hard drives it works perfectly. The drive functions and i am able to use it as a normal drive but cannot use it with bootcamp.

Please help

2. negativzero macrumors 6502

Try using the disk utility to do it instead.

3. Prime85 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Prime85

That is what is freezing on me with that SSD but works perfectly with other hard drives and ssds. I think i might need to fix the MBR on the drive.

----------

I am trying to upgrade from a 120gb vertex plus r2 to the vertex2 240GB. I wish i could use a sata iii in the optibay or i would just get another samsung drive but i cant :-(. I tried winclone and it gets all the way trough and then gives me an error on changing BCD. If i try to keep old BCD it gives me MBR error at same time.

4. Prime85 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Prime85

I remember when i bought my samsung 830 i had to damage the drive before reformatting so i could boot OSX on the drive. Could this be the same issue? If so i don't remember the site where i found the directions if anyone has any idea please let me know.

5. Prime85 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Prime85

Solved the problem.

I had to put the drive in the normal drive bay and install osx on it then use bootcamp assist. Then while installing windows 8 i deleted the OSX partition.

When i was finished i switched the vertex drive back to the optibay and put my samsung drive in the normal drive bay.

Very strange that i had to do it this way since every other time i have used bootcamp i just did it from the optibay and then switched when i needed to put the optical drive back in to install windows, this avoided installing OSX and saved a lot of time.

Well at least it worked