Bootcamp via SD card

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by jgbr, Jun 16, 2009.

1. jgbr macrumors 6502

Hello

Has anyone cracked or had success in installing Windows on a SD card via bootcamp?

My bootcamp wont see the SD Card. Just keeps coming up with UMBP HD only.

2. Vlad1980 macrumors newbie

Bump,

I am interested in this too. I would love running XP off a 16 or 32GB SD card.

3. KptIglo macrumors member

news

some news or experience?

now after selling both fu%&ing 15" mbp (late08 / mid10) i've bought the new 13" air
    i was hoping to get win installed on a sd card, but i had determined that the sd slot is on the usb bus, too bad

any info is very appreciated cause it'll make the air to be my dream machine :rolleyes:

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The MBAs are generally pretty happy with rEFIt.

Is what you are planning to use Windows for just not compatible with virtualization, 'cause that will work fine. I have a linux VM on an SD card for my MBP.

B

5. KptIglo macrumors member

hmm, the last time i've done the hole annoying rEFIt usb installation procedure was 2-3 years ago

so i'm not firm with it anymore.
    but wasn't and still is the problem, that bootcamp doesn' recognize the sd card?

i've neither got a sd card nor an usb superdrive to test and don't wanna waste time and money

6. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I have no experience, but if the SD card is just on the USB bus, why not just try installing Windows following one of the guides for installing it on a USB drive?

7. KptIglo macrumors member

cause it's (was) a fu%&ing nightmare :)

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I doubt you'll be bale to boot Windows 7 or Vista from it, but XP shoul dwork using the usual modifications to get it to boot from an external USB drive.

B

9. KptIglo macrumors member

hmm, why do you think so?
    is there any difference between xp and seven?
    seven ist the only ms os which bootcamp supports on the mba

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You're clearly in unsupported territory in trying to boot from SD or USB. :p

XP can reliably be modified to boot from USB using the ngine.de approach http://www.ngine.de/article/id/8 I haven't seen reliable success with Vista or 7.

B