bootcamp/vista help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bc008, Dec 27, 2007.

1. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

I want to be able to run windows on my iMac Aluminum 2.0 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD, 320 GB External.

I would like vista, but wouldnt really mind buying xp.

I would only use vista for games like all of the sims (1 and 2), Roller coaster tycoon 2, RCT 3, and other things like that.

I realized it would probably be cheaper to just get windows on my imac, and install all of my old windows game discs on my computer, instead of bogging down my moms pc.

here is the first question:
    what type of version of vista could i get? I love the moving wallpapers in Ultimate, but i dont see paying that much more for that. I want all my games to run smoothly as well.

second question:
    how should i format my external drive? i have leopard so i would like time machine. also how do i format it? how many partitions (i dont even know if thats what its called)

last question:
    leopard has bootcamp built in correct? i dont need any virtualization software do i? (i dont mind restarting every time i want to switch OS's

2. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

anyone?
    im going to wal mart within the next hour

3. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

wrong forum

You need to post this in the section "Windows on a Mac". This is for Mac support, your asking stuff about Windows.

4. keysersoze macrumors 68000

keysersoze

XP is generally better for games, although that may change over time. You can also get cheaper OEM versions from places like newegg.com if you dont want to shell out big $$$ for a retail copy.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

6. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

IIRC, you'd need one of the highest two (or three) versions of Vista per MS's dictate. Whether Home Basic runs, I don't know. As has been mentioned previously, XP is a good deal OEM, stable (mostly), proven, and compatible with darn near anything.

If you want to use Boot Camp, it depends on what you plan to install. I have 40GB on my partition, and that should do me for quite a while. If you're going to install a bunch of games, though, that'll increase the need for available space. I'd recommend NTFS strongly.

Boot Camp Assistant is part of Leopard. You don't need any virtualization software, but it's handy. The nice thing about starting with BC is that you can always use the same partition in Parallels or VMWare later.

7. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I just got the System Builder Ultimate Vista for $168 from lagoom.com

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I've seen it hover around $189 locally. That was a good deal.

9. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Am I correct in assuming that's the same as OEM, but with a fancy, non-industry name?

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You are correct.

11. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

So in MS-speak, "Operating System" becomes Platform Control and Management Environment, and "Embarrassing Blowhard" becomes CEO. OK, now I get it...

12. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

ok, I guess OP already returned from walmart, care to let us know what you eventually get?

My suggestion is vista home Premium. 32bit.

you got a new computer, there should not be many problem with vista. XP is an old OS, unless you want to play 4 years old game (or save money), you should not buy XP.

how is apple any different on this?

13. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Because "OS" is still "OS", and "Embarrassing Blowhard" is "Infuriating Perfectionist That We Keep Handing Money To Gladly." :p

14. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

:p I have to called than random M$ bashing. not really make any sense.

This world is running on M$ windows, can't deny that.

15. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Oh, c'mon, my Microsoft (not M$) bashing is never random, it's always very specific! :D

And if you're second statement is really true, that would explain a lot about the state we're in... ;)

Actually, I LOVE Microsoft! They've kept me in business for years solving problems! Besides, you gotta admit that Ballmer is the most entertaining major CEO around!

Back OT, I don't know of a single client of mine (major edu/corporate) that's gone to Vista--yet. I'm sure that over the next year or so, that'll change, but I still find Vista not yet ready for prime time. Actually, it's a lot like XP was pre-SP1 as far as reliability/usability (far worse in general acceptance), so it's more a matter of patience than giving up on it. I'l stick with XP myself until at least Vista SP1, maybe a little later.

16. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

im guessing i have to have the full version?
    i really wasnt expecting to pay 180 dollars for a basic version of vista..

17. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

yes, you need full version since you are not upgrading from any previous version of windows (I don't think its possible to install older version of windows 2K/98 on mac through bootcamp).

anyway, you can just get basic full version, which can be found as low as $150 online, it has no aero effects tho.

I found that "system builder" version of vista home pre for $110@amazon, altho I have no idea what that is.

18. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

19. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

I'd suggest buying xp...it's cheaper and there is still some software around that is not vista ready yet.

as for the formatting question...I always format my boot camp partitions ntfs since windows runs better on ntfs.
    unfortunately you don't have native ntfs write support in os x but you can install macfuse and ntfs3G to write ntfs partitions.

20. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

i actually ended up using my moms reinstallation CD

im surprised it actually worked without asking for any type of key etc..

edit:

should i even try to install games?
    it says my graphics card cant even handle the screensavers....

21. SlaunchaMan macrumors newbie

SlaunchaMan

Be sure to insert your Leopard installation DVD when you're in Windows to install the drivers for your video card, sound card, etc. An iMac should be able to run the games you mentioned.

22. bc008 thread starter macrumors 68000

bc008

thanks!

i was wondering why my

screensavers,
    right click,
    scroll ball,
    sound,
    resolution,
    and color prefs

wasnt working ;)

(its all working now!, thanks for everything. i have 30 GB's for my windows stuff (should be enough) and it was all free!!!)