BootCamp, VMWare Fusion and Vista

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by gab1982, Dec 14, 2010.

1. gab1982, Dec 14, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2010

gab1982 macrumors newbie

Hi all I recently got some new hard drives and put them into my mac pro after formatting them appropriately and installing my apps so i made a bootcamp partition and then installed vista in it, this was ok. I went to vmware fusion and i clicked the import bootcamp button thinking i could still use it in bootcamp as well but it seems i can't, when i load bootcamp it says the os failed to load after a string of dos prompts and for me type things in dos, yet vmware still loads the OS, I ideall would like to run it in both but if not just in bootcamp how do I fix it?

I am using VMWARE Fusion 3.1.2 and Snow Leopard 10.6.5 (with bootcamp 3.02)

Graham

2. gab1982 thread starter macrumors newbie

Anyone got an answer for this one? driving me nuts.

3. KPOM macrumors G5

I thought that "importing" a Boot Camp partition actually converted it to a virtual machine. I think what you want to do is use your Boot Camp partition as a virtual machine.

My advice would be to reinstall your boot camp partition (you may be able to install Vista as an "upgrade" onto itself so you don't need to reinstall all your applications), and then rather than "importing" your Boot Camp partition, simply create a new virtual machine. It should then prompt you to point to your Boot Camp partition.

Be sure to install VMWare Tools, and you may need to re-activate Windows when it's running inside Fusion. Also consider posting this message in the Fusion message boards on their site. I switched to Parallels, myself, but I do recall the Fusion boards being pretty helpful as VMWare employees often post responses.

4. SteinMaster macrumors 6502

SteinMaster

I first created a Bootcamp partition for Windows 7. I then installed VMWare and pointed it to my Bootcamp partition. So, I have the option of booting into Bootcamp (when I want to install some big applications or play some games) or use via VMWare. I use VMWare when I need to do some light MS Word, Excel, PPT work. I have the best of both worlds this way.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Here are some links to back up what KPOM says.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=11348825&postcount=12

NOTE: MR has a specific forum for all things Windows on Mac http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=86 I will request the mods move this there.

B