Bootcamp / VMware Windows activation question

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by joeeey, Nov 20, 2009.

1. joeeey macrumors member

Hi all,

I am purchasing my first Mac this week (iMac 27" i7 8gb ram 1 TB :)). I am new to the whole Mac experience. I have a few questions I hope someone can give me the correct answers.

I purchased VMware 3.0, but I would also like to use bootcamp (for when I am gaming). Would Windows need a separate installation copy for each? I was concerned about the Windows activation issue. I am not sure if need to activate twice or if Windows 7 will allow it, once for bootcamp and then once for Vmware?

I purchased Windows 7 64 bit upgrade. I am currently running on my PC Windows Vista 64 bit and I have a new OEM copy of XP home 32 bit (unused). I plan on using the already registered copy of Vista to install on my MAC then use the Windows 7 upgrade. Will that work? Will I need to activate Vista before I can use the upgrade?

Can I use an external drive to run windows from VMware (either firewire or USB) or should I invest in the 2 TB upgrade?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You can run your Boot Camp partition in VMWare Fusion and have both activated. Many of us run this way.

You can do a clean install of 7 from upgrade media. Guide here: http://www.winsupersite.com/RoadBlock/default.asp?returnurl=/win7/clean_install_upgrade_media.asp No need to install Vista or XP or activate them. Of course you do need to stop using the license you upgraded to sty cpmpliant with the license.

You can have your VMWare image on an external, but not the Boot Camp partition, so unless you want to buy two Win 7 licenses. Stick with running your Boot Camp partition in Fusion.

B

3. joeeey thread starter macrumors member

Thank you, would you know of a link that I can follow to setup it up correctly?

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member