BootCamp, VMWare, WinXP & Activation

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Wicker, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Wicker macrumors regular

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to get WinXP to work on VMware Fusion, but I have messed things up.

I installed WinXP on BootCamp a while a go (more than a month ago) and I also installed VMware and loaded up the BootCamp partition through there. I never got to activating WinXP as I got loaded with work and I just forgot (I didn't really need it for anything at the time).

I remembered yesterday so I booted into Windows using BootCamp and activated WinXP. I then tried to use WinXP through VMware and obviously it asked me to activate the copy (more than 30 days so I can't do anything unless I activate). I try but it tells me that there is no connectivity and Windows cannot connect to the activation server...

I know that I should've installed it on BootCamp first and activated it, then installed VMWare, followed by WinXP and then activate it. However, now that I find myself in this situation does anybody have any suggestions as to what I can do?

Also, for some reason I get asked for my admin password when I try and run the BootCamp partition on VMware... this doesn't happen when I run my Ubuntu machine. In addition to this, the image of the partition on my desktop disappears whenever I boot onto it on VMware (not sure if it is supposed to do this, I just noticed it).

Thanks in advance!

2. atlanticza macrumors 6502a

atlanticza

Probably the easiest way to activate XP is to phone their call centre and quote your Product Key.

3. Wicker thread starter macrumors regular

Is it acceptable to Microsoft what I'm trying to do then?

4. atlanticza macrumors 6502a

atlanticza