Bootcamp vs Crossover?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by definitive, Apr 8, 2009.

1. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

I'll be getting an iMac, and would like to run Windows applications (that aren't available on OSX). What would be the best option for me, especially for games. Here's what I want:

Ability to have fully functional native drivers for the hardware (ie: run ATI or nVidia drivers) for the video card, along with audio, etc. Does Bootcamp allow you to install drivers from nvidia.com or ati.com or do you have to run some VGA drivers like when using VirtualPC software on PC's?

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Boot camp is the real deal. Download drivers to your hearts content. If Crossover works for the games you want to play then that's fine. More than likely you will want to use boot camp.

3. Aniki macrumors regular

Crossover, what I use. Cheaper, no windows license. no worrying, very little frame drop, and it's native in os x. Get crossover games.

4. RobotBanana macrumors newbie

RobotBanana

If gaming is your main thing, then I definitely suggest Bootcamp. You simply restart your machine and load up Windows, and then you're running a regular PC. You have full control of the drivers, and most importantly, there's no emulation; you're running natively in Windows.

Crossover isn't always compatible with every game (although it's generally ok), and its performance isn't always equal to running a game natively in Windows. The only bonus is you get to remain in OS X so you don't have to worry about maintaining a Windows installation or anything like that.

Basically, if you don't mind having a full Windows installation on your Mac and having to reboot into that to play games, go with Bootcamp. If you're willing to trade some performance for convenience, go with Crossover.

5. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

Absolutely use Boot Camp for games, the performance will be much greater.

Crossover is really only useful (in my mind) for office apps and other "light-weight" programs.

6. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Bootcamp no question. Like playing the games on a Windows system...