Bootcamp vs Surface

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by FiremanMike, Apr 2, 2016.

1. FiremanMike macrumors regular

Just looking for opinions. I need a windows operating system foursome training software at work, and it also occurred to me that it might be convenient to carry a computing device around with me while working on inventory. I do need a portable machine, so simply running all the training software on my work PC desktop isn't going to work for every scenario.

So I'm looking at the options of installing bootcamp/win 10 on my 12" macbook and just using it or getting a surface tablet and using it for inventory/training. My only opinion on the matter is that, while I really love my 12" macbook, I disliked running bootcamp in the past as I just don't like shutting down and restarting regularly, additionally, I lose access to MS Office on my macbook when I reboot into bootcamp, whereas the surface option allows me to use my (currently unused) tablet license.

This will likely be a personal purchase, as our IT department says the only surface they'd accept as a city owned piece would be a $2300 setup they've specced out (they think like IT guys, future usability, etc..)

I figured I'd ask here, since I'm sure I'm not the first to consider this option.

I'm open to all input, thanks in advance!

2. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

I'm not sure why you can't use your office license in bootcamp however if you dislike using bootcamp use win10 in parallels providing your software is not too demanding

3. lparsons21 macrumors 6502

lparsons21

I also use W10 with Parallels on my 12" MacBook. Works fine, but if the Windows software you need is really heavy duty it might be a little slow. I've not noticed it with the few things I use.

4. FiremanMike thread starter macrumors regular

Definitely not an intensive app, i might look into parallels.. As for the office license, I believe it counts it as a separate computer. I have it installed on my iMac and macbook, burning both licenses.. Am I wrong on that?

5. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

License depends on what you purchased some are single installs others are multi, you may even have it free from your works if you logon to Office 360 using your company email not your personal, ask your IT dept

6. Buerkletucson macrumors 6502

Buerkletucson

Does the USB-C port with the USB adapter work OK with Parallels/Windows10?

7. FiremanMike thread starter macrumors regular

Does anyone know if bootcamp counts as a separate install from OS X when the hardware is the same? I have the university edition, if that helps.. (one license on iMac, one on macbook, currently)

Good question, anyone know the answer? I do need USB access in order to sync the sim-pad..