Bootcamp VS VMFusion - Help!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stormbob, Jun 23, 2008.

1. stormbob macrumors newbie

Hello,
    Maybe i have misunderstood all this, but isn't Bootcamp basicly the same as VMFusion?

I have recently begun to look abit into this, because i am going some friends next week, and we plan to play some Battlefield 2. I got a nifty new generation MBP with 2.5ghz, 4gb RAM and a 512mb GFX card so i assume i should be able to run it. The question is, though which software? From XP through Bootcamp or XP from VMFusion... :confused:

2. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

If your going to play games then your best bet is bootcamp as it runs windows at native speed,if your interested in Fusion id suggest once you have installed windows via bootcamp to then install Fusion and run it of bootcamp that way you always have the option of native speed

And no bootcamp is not the same as fusion,bootcamp allows you to install windows as a stand alone OS meaning its just the same as running it on a PC ( bootcamp partitions your HDD ) so its like having two machines one Mac one PC

Fusion allows virtualization meaning you can run windows & OS X at the same time for more info id suggest you visit there site VMware

3. stormbob thread starter macrumors newbie

Hm, so let me get this right, every time i start the mac it will ask which OS to start in, if i install windows with bootcamp?

And then i can use fusion to emulate that windows and run it through my osx?

4. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

That is correct,once you have installed windows you hold down the alt key and a bootloader appears you just click on which OS you want to boot into siimple aint it?

the question about fusion is also correct (its a virtual machine not emulate )

5. npep macrumors member

Stormbob...
    Just another point of view. I have had both and love bootcamp so much more over fusion. Fusion was nice for ease of use and moving files quickly, but bootcamp will run everything that a windows machine will run. I have yet to have boocamp fail me and Fusion failed on several occasions...software and games.
    Go bootcamp...

6. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

This is the reason it probably failed,to be honest i don't play games,i use bootcamp for work,and fusion for other stuff,not had Fusion fail once and been using it for around a year & and 1/2 now

7. bart rijksen macrumors regular

It works great in bootcamp. I have the same mbp, and also the game. At max settings, i get a fps of 100. Enjoy.