Bootcamp W7 breaks Lion Install

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by macnjack, Nov 15, 2011.

1. macnjack macrumors member

Mid 2011 imac 3.4, 256gSSD, 2gb gpu

Peculiar situation when booted in windows 7. If I click the bootcamp diamond in the bottom right and tell the computer to boot in Mac OSX the Stop sign comes up in place of the apple, disk utility comes up and wants to restore Lion from my backup. The backup works fine and I go about my business.

If I just tell Windows to restart and let Lion bootup as normal, everything boots fine.

Anyone have this happen and how did you resolve the issue? And yes the easy solution is just hit restart from the start menu in windows, but I'm curious as to why the Restart in OS X button breaks things and if it's indicitive of a greater problem.

Regards

2. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

Did you remember to install the windows drivers ( made from the bootcamp assistant utility ) after you finished installing win 7?

3. macnjack thread starter macrumors member

Took a while to get back to the thread....I did install the drivers post Windows 7 install. Thanks for the suggestion and a good reminder b/c I have a colleague who forgot that and experienced some wonky issues.

One possibility I can think of, however, is I used gparted to increase the windows 7 partition size and subsequently reduce the lion partition on the SSD post bootcamp install. Maybe something related to the "Restart in Max OS X" is linked to the previous partition sizes and/or location of files that may have been deleted or changed. With everything working fine just using windows restart im hesitant to attempt to break my lion install again.

4. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

Looks like you nailed the origin of the problem ... yeah it was you apparently.

With bootcamp setups you really have to nail the initial sizing of the win 7 partition before you start doing any setup ... and not change it around afterwards.

Unless you are really really advanced that path is going to get one into trouble.

Seems like a high percentage of the threads here are from people that started getting creative on their partitioning attempts unfortunately.

5. away8907 macrumors newbie

The issue arises with the hybrid GPT/MBR partition table. The GPT creates an initial MBR to tell other programs to leave it alone. Boot camp places windows in an MBR partition, yet emulates BIOS through EFI, which is on the GPT side.

tl;dr, resizing partitions with hybrid partition tables is walking on thin ice.