BootCamp: Want to make Mac Partition Larger

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Tingababoo, Sep 4, 2009.

1. Tingababoo macrumors newbie

Hi,

I've seen cases where people want the Window's side larger, Image it- Delete the partition and repartition. I have the opposite problem. I wish to make the Mac side larger.

Currently operating approx 20% Leopard 80% Vista and I want to switch that around to 80% Leopard and 20% Vista.

I have certain programs on Vista that I would like to save so I would like to avoid deleting the partition whole. I read about Camptune but didn't trust it after reading reviews.

1. Is there anyway to re-partition without deleting either partion
    2. If not, can I delete the windows partition and take back to space for Leopard? Or does it just remain free space but not claimed by Leopard? How do I claim it back to 100% Leopard?
    3. If I need to delete both partitions and start over, how do I go about that?

Thank You

2. enirehtac03 macrumors newbie

If you used bootcamp to create the partitions try opening that up and see if you can adjust it from within there. If there is an option that will probably be the easiest way.

1. Maybe -
    -open apps-->utilities folder-->disk utilities
    - chose your overall harddisk in from the column on the left (not one of your partitions
    - go to the "partition" tab
    [​IMG]
    - Click on your Vista partition and try resizing it (either by draging the bottom right corner up or down, or by typing in the amount of GB you want it to be in the "size" box.
    - If that works resized to what you want and click apply - this should take a minute to apply changes.
    -Try resizing your OS paritition as well using the same methods - WARNING this may not work b/c of something with it thinks it will modify bootcamp.
    - If you can resize, yay for you and click apply, if not follow the steps below:

2. Maybe
    - Instead of just resizing the windows partition, I think you should instead "erase" it in the mac os extended (journaled) format (this will effectively erase all the data on this partition).
    -THEN I would try "deleting" it buy hitting the "-" button when you have the partition selected in the "partition" tab.
    -Then you can try draging/typing in the "size" area to resize the main harddrive, and I think this should work.
    -If it works hit apply and close disk util. (again should only take max a couple minutes to apply changes)
    -To re-create your windows partition now use bootcamp and you can size the partition from that. Using bootcamp is the simplest way

3. If you need to delete everything to start over
    -make sure you have the orginal OS installation disk and apps installation disks that came with your computer (if not don't follow these next steps)
    -Insert your original OS installation CD
    Restart your computer and as soon as the screen turns on hold down the "c" key (you don't need to tap it mulitple times, just hold it)
    -Then it will load from CD. click english as your option (or whatever language you chose)
    -From the NEXT page, put your mouse at the top of your scree and you will see a drop down menu. Go to "Disk Utility" (under "Utilities" if I remember the heading correctly)
    -From there you can again partition your hardrive. So go to the same screen as above and where it has the drop down menu that says "current" change that to "1".
    -Install OS
    -Install Apps
    (whole process about 1.5 hours)
    -Use Bootcamp for your window partition. If you are using bootcamp pls note you do NOT need to make a separate partition for windows on your own.

3. enirehtac03 macrumors newbie

let me know which method works for you and good luck!

4. Tingababoo thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi,

I found where you can scroll and change the partitions. But as you see it has that warning message "This disk appears to be partitioned for Boot Camp. Changing the partition may make this disk unbootable using Windows."

Therefore I am wary about dragging the scroll bars.

I think the only option is you response to Option 2

2. Maybe
    - Instead of just resizing the windows partition, I think you should instead "erase" it in the mac os extended (journaled) format (this will effectively erase all the data on this partition).
    -THEN I would try "deleting" it buy hitting the "-" button when you have the partition selected in the "partition" tab.
    -Then you can try draging/typing in the "size" area to resize the main harddrive, and I think this should work.
    -If it works hit apply and close disk util. (again should only take max a couple minutes to apply changes)
    -To re-create your windows partition now use bootcamp and you can size the partition from that. Using bootcamp is the simplest way

I was told that if I delete the Windows partition all together, OS X will still not recognize the NTFS format where Windows used to reside. Is this the case?

5. enirehtac03 macrumors newbie

Yea - if that comes up then it won't let you drag to change the size of your windows partition even if you try.

If you just delete it by pressing the "-" button then yes, however, if you chose to ERASE the data - and chose to do so be formatting it in the mac OS journaled type, then it should be able to see it. That is why you have to ERASE first then delete.

ERASING will make it so you lose all your data on your window partition - so back it up first. Since you said it is right now as a NTFS format - then you can used this program called WINCLONE - it is supposed to be pretty good. Otherwise windows comes with a back up program installed (start apps systool backup)

You will have to reinstall windows once you finish this whole process - but if you back up it up then you won't have to sit and reinstall your programs and data at least.

Good luck, let me know how it goes.