Bootcamp: what am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by KevRC4130, Nov 12, 2013.

1. KevRC4130, Nov 12, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2013

KevRC4130 macrumors 6502

Hey guys,

I've got a Mid 2009 MBP 15" (2.8 Intel Core 2 Duo, 4Gb RAM) running Mavericks. I'm trying to install Windows 7 off of an .ISO file, but it seems like I run into a problem with each step I take.

When I use Boot Camp Assistant, it says "The installer disc could not be found. Insert your Windows installer disc and wait a few seconds for the disc to be recognized." So, I downloaded the Driver Package 4.0 straight from the Apple site (I think this is the right package for my machine?), but I get the same message.

In Boot Camp Assistant, if I deselect "Download the latest Windows support software from Apple" and keep "Install Windows 7" selected, it says "The Installer Disc Could Not Be Found. Insert your Windows installer disc and wait a few seconds for the disc to be recognized." Or, the other thing it says is: "Can't install the software because it is not currently available from the Software Update server."

Unfortunately, I don't have a disc, just the ISO file. I tried to burn it to DVD, but that also gave me an error of some sort.

The ISO file is currently on a USB drive (formatted as FAT), the internal HDD, as well as an additional external hard drive. As my "destination disc", I've tried both drives (though strangely after installing Mavericks, it doesn't let me try the external drive anymore because it is not FAT).

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

2. xcodeSyn macrumors 6502a

If I'm not mistaken, your MBP came with an internal SuperDrive and it's the only drive that Boot Camp Assistant is hard coded to look for your Windows Installer disc. Forget about the ISO or USB disk, your Mac can only install Windows using the internal DVD drive. You can follow this link to burn a DVD from your Windows ISO, and install Windows using your internal optical drive. If you removed the internal drive like many others did, your only choice is to use this approach. For all MBP and iMac models that came with a factory-installed SuperDrive, the internal drive is the only place where Boot Camp looks for the Windows installer.