Bootcamp: What is apple slacking on?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by auhlixer, Dec 22, 2011.

1. auhlixer macrumors regular

That makes our computers run so hot? Like is there something that can be worked on to implement a cooler running machine?

My post is inspired by the boot efi post.

2. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

Unless you do not quite understand ... bootcamp runs windows not mac os x.

Lots of difference in the operating systems and the device drivers etc.

While apple can and does work to get viable device drivers for their hardware there is only so much that apple can do here. Lots of hardware firms involved here buddy ... lots.

Besides the device drivers for windows it then depends on windows based applications ... again not under apple's control.

My macbook air 2011 runs pretty nicely under bootcamp and win 7 ... what specific problem if any are you referring to on your machine if any?

3. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

For starters lack of AHCI is pretty bad. NVidia drivers provided by Apple restart once or twice every day. Apart from that there is the inability to install Win7 using USB drive on 2010 model MBPs. Just not a great experience.

4. auhlixer thread starter macrumors regular

I thought windows was already implied since i posted it in windows on mac and the title's first word was bootcamp :rolleyes:

I have a early 2011 macbook pro 15" 2.3ghz which runs idle at 160f w/ autodesk inventor, autodesk vault, thunderbird & chrome. While working it goes anywhere between 170-200f

While a co-worker of mine uses the same programs os (win64) on a newer hp laptop (same hardware as a base 2011 mbp) and while under a heavy load he gets around 120-130f and doing nothing it's around 100f

5. avro707 macrumors 6502a

It's a given that they will run very hot under Windows in Bootcamp, Mac Pro excepted.

I have the 27" iMac Core i7 860 at work and under windows unless I use SMCFancontrol, it will run so hot to the point of stability issues and red boxes on the screen. This was reproduced on multiple machines of the same spec (4 of them).

At work, I've accepted that the only practical way to run Windows is through VMWare otherwise I'll have to put up with noisy fans in the iMac. A colleague has a MBP which also runs very hot under Windows using Bootcamp.

6. MasterTick macrumors 6502

Hell, Macs run hot under OSX, running hot under Windows 7 is no surprise.