Bootcamp, where to store itunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ccoleman88, Jan 5, 2009.

1. ccoleman88 macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I am recieving my new macbook tomorrow and will be bottcamping xp on it. I am wondering how i can store my .mp3 files so that they are accessible on both partitions.

2. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

You can create an empty partition on your hard drive, as big as you need for all your mp3's (5GB maybe?) and format it in FAT32, then both Windows and Mac will have access to it.

3. ccoleman88 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Only when formatted on a PC. You can format any size partition to MS-DOS (FAT) (as it calls FAT32) in Leopard's version of Disk Utility.

5. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Something else to remember with the FAT32 format. You can't have any files larger than 4GB on it. If you try to copy over something larger than 4GB, you will get an error.

I don't think you will have this problem if you're just using it for music, but it's just something to think about.

6. bstreiff macrumors regular

Well, any size up to 2TB, at least. Probably not too huge of a deal for a Macbook, but could conceivably be an issue with external drives (perhaps an external multiple-drive enclosure).

The 32GB cutoff point in Microsoft's disk formatting tools was established because the larger the volume is, the longer it takes to compute free space... which happens whenever you use the 'dir' DOS command.

7. ccoleman88 thread starter macrumors newbie