Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glib

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2006
So I installed windows to run a specific piece of 3D software for school that doesn't have a mac version. I partitioned my disc and installed windows (after a number of headaches that I won't get into now... suffice it to say, it wasn't exactly easy) and installed my software without a problem. Now I need photoshop installed as well, except somehow I'm out of space on my 5GB partition. I thought this was a tad odd for just being windows and one program, so I opened my C drive, made sure there were no files being hidden, selected everything and looked at the properties. Everything on my C drive takes up 2.6GB, yet when I right-click on the drive and go to properties it says 4.5GB have been used.

Where are these other 2GB being taken up? My recycle bin is empty...

theman5725

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2006
I think the Windows Installation, combined with all the updates that you'll download, take up that much space. At least, that's from my experience in Boot Camp.

glib

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 7, 2006
But I can't find what is taking up the extra space... all the files on the disc amount to around 2.7GB, so there's another 2GB somewhere that just isn't showing up.

Windows is 1.7GB.

Someone else mind testing this for me? Right click on your HD and choose properties, and see how much space is taken. Then double click on the HD, select everything, and go to properties again. This should be the same number, but for me it's not. Bootcamp problem?

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
Windows Swap File takes space

My hidden swap file is 1.99GB. 5GB is too small for Windows if you plan on adding much of anything.

I wish there was an easy way to resize the Windows partition on the fly. I'd like to shrink mine a bit.

murdoc158

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2007
West Bend, WI
You should have at least 10GB set aside to run XP. If you plan on downloading updates for Windows, add another 5GB to be safe. Windows needs at least 5GB free to function properly. I'm surprised you haven't run into problems earlier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.