Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marilynfan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
So I just got leopard and I am thinking about giving bootcamp a try. Basically, I'd like to move the activities I still have to perform on my PC desktop here to my MacBookPro. I was going to load my Windows XP, Frontpage, Adobe Photoshop, Word and Excell. I need Word/Excell for my job. I use Frontpage/Photoshop for my websites.

Does bootcamp work like a separate computer? So if I was using these programs I would have no access to any Apple programs (safari and mail)? I get emailed pics and save things off internet for my websites. How would I get these into my bootcamp? Would I need to install internet explorer in order to access internet while using Photoshop for example. How about uploading my files? When I am done in photoshop or frontpage how do I FTP my files. I assume I won't have access to the mac program so I guess I need to install a Windows based FTP client.

Thanks for any information on how this would work.

MurphyM

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2007
When you're booted into Windows under Bootcamp you can't access the Mac stuff. You could look at something like Macdrive, which I have a post on.

Or you could look at Parallels or VMware Fusion. I have Fusion installed and it lets me copy things back and forth easily from the Mac side to the PC side. I find Fusion works very well for the kind of use you mention. And you can sleep the pc side and resume it later. (If you go full-on Fusion and leave Bootcamp out)

I have a post on Fusion as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.