Bootcamp Win 7 for late 2012 iMac

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Jindra12, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Jindra12, Feb 22, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2013

Jindra12 macrumors newbie

Hello all,

It took me several days to get this right.

===================

Items to buy:

1) Buy $20 CD reader through Amazon or $70 superdrive from Apple.

2) Buy $100 full Window 7 OS Home Premium 64 bit through Amazon.

3) 8GB USB stick $10

===================

Things to downloads before you start bootcamping.

1) Download ISO image from MS Window support center.
    X17-242909.iso
    Leave one on the desktop and one in the USB stick

2) Download Bootcamp support software from Apple to USB stick. Boot Camp Assist: "Download the latest Window support software from Apple".

===================

Activate the Boot Camp Assist

Run the procedure until it asks you to find the ISO Image. Find the ISO image on your desktop where you downloaded it and then run it.

===================

During the Window 7 Installation

1) Run the procedure.
    2) When it asks you which harddrive to install the W7 OS, click customs, then click small box "advanced setting" under several hard drive selections, and then format the bootcamp hard drive to NTFS.
    3) Install

===================

In the Window 7 OS

1) Open USB stick, open Window Support Folder, run the setup.exe.
    2) Let the window download all the latest patches.
    3) It should be working perfect.

===================

Recommendation to set 250gb apart for the Window 7.

2. chrfr macrumors 603

The Bootcamp 3.1.1 drivers are far out of date and incorrect for the late 2012 iMac. Use the iMac's Bootcamp Utility to download the correct driver set for that computer.

3. Jindra12 thread starter macrumors newbie

You are correct. Use the Boot Camp Assist, "Download the latest Windows support software from Apple" into the USB stick.

4. bill phillips macrumors regular

ok so i pretty much knew how to do it that way, my point was i know there has to be a better way than to have to order a ******* 70 dollar cd player that im never gonna use again and wait for it to come in.. I know there has to be a way to do it with just the stick and an image, i know this because I've heard countless people say theyve done just that, however theyve been pretty bad at languaging how exactly to go about it...one person says this, the other says that, and in the end i dont know what to do

5. Jindra12 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah that is why I brought $20 CD reader with a free shipping through Amazon, if you are a prime membership.

6. bill phillips macrumors regular

why you were having this exact same problem as well?

7. Jindra12 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't want to wait for the download to load up 4GB of Window 7 OS, if I messed up the HD, etc. It would be much easier if I had a Window 7 OS CD with me so I could just run it without a problem.

You couldn't go wrong with $20 CD reader, $100 window 7 OS, and $10 8GB USB stick. Unless, you could buy 32GB USB stick and download all of those info to USB stick. It could be done with the same procedure as I have described.

8. Flyswater macrumors newbie

I'm reading the above procedure, which is great since I'm having trouble loading W7. However, I do not see what you used the CD reader for. It loooks like you downloaded everything. Do I need an ISO and my W7 disc? BTW, I have a new full W7 disc, a superdrive, and a 16GB USB stick. I thought I was all set but I am getting the "black screen of death" right after Bootcamp Assistant has me insert the disc and it reboots. I've read other threads where it says to follow all three steps in Bootcamp Assistant. I skipped the first one (ISO) since I had the DVD. Was that a mistake? Thanks.

9. Jindra12 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello,

I used CD reader to run Window 7 OS installation, it runs the CD automatically during the Win7 installation.

By the way, you could buy Window 7 OS and download that content into a USB stick, if there is a room for it.

I am not sure with the black death screen part.

You need to have ISO from MS Window Support Center in order to complete the Win7 Bootcamp installation. Therefore, I don't know how your boot camp assistant ran without running through ISO. Did it read ISO through your CD? If so, that is not how I ran. I downloaded the ISO and left one on my desktop and one in USB stick to be safe. I ran boot camp assistant to read the iso which it is on my desktop.

Does it help?