Bootcamp win 7 issues

Discussion in 'iMac' started by electricdreams, May 23, 2011.

1. electricdreams macrumors member

on new 21.5 Imac base model

ran bootcamp and installed win 7
    first time around on the restart the screen was blinking crazy, I shut down and restarted again , then it looked like it was good, until win 7 loaded and the screen is cut in 1/2, basically the mouse goes one directions say Left and comes back on the right side...

2. -pete- macrumors member

Wierd, I would try booting back into OS X then formatting the partition with disk utility and trying it again.

My boot camp took a couple of goes to get installed so its not always a completely smooth process

3. Stan Mikulenka macrumors 6502

Hi electricdreams,
    do NOT use Disk Utilities to get rid of the win partition (if you're planing to do it over).
    You have to use the Boot Camp Assistant to do that.
    Then restart your Mac & re-do the bootcamp partition.

4. electricdreams thread starter macrumors member

I have done this on other macs without issues, so wonder why this happened, anything I missed ?

I did use bootcamp to do the partitions, the used the win cd and followed instructions,

5. Stan Mikulenka macrumors 6502

Hi again,
    some users report (usually on Apple site) that the whole HD gets nurfed & then you have to re-do not only the Windows partition but the MacOS too...
    (There are some invisible partitions which a Mac & win install disk creates & they get shuffled & the BootCamp will not work afterwards...)
    It happens rarely but nevertheless it's safer to do it the proper way.

6. electricdreams thread starter macrumors member

called support, and no luck,

anyone put win 7 on current 21.5?

7. Hibernia macrumors member

Not yet though i have the same model as you and bootcamp is my next project. Was in the process of searching for the cheapest OEM of Windows7 i can find but now wondering if i'm better looking for an older XP version instead?

8. Dresevski macrumors 6502

IIRC, W7 is the only Windows supported now. I have a copy of XP and then an upgrade for W7 that I'm hoping will work out somehow (when I get around to doing it). Question is, can I install XP in bootcamp then upgrade to W7 and everything's great or do I have to install XP in Parallels to upgrade to W7? If the latter is the case then does bootcamp still work with the Parallels partition? All things that I need to figure out, if you're getting a full version go for W7

9. Richdmoore macrumors 68000

Richdmoore

I wouldn't even bother putting xp on first, it can only lead to bad things (in my opinion.). I would use the "windows 7 double install method" instead.

I think I bookmarked a page which covers what to do.

http://www.osgui.com/component/cont...-from-upgrade-disc-double-install-method.html

Basically install windows 7 without inputting your upgrade serial key. Then, put in the windows disc, and select the option to upgrade on top of your current (unactivated) setup, putting in your key for the second install.

10. Dresevski macrumors 6502

Yea. I remember reading about it on the forums somewhere and I bookmarked some install guide. Haven't done it yet but sounds good!

11. archer75 macrumors 65816

I did install it on the 2011 27" imac without issue. Same chipset as the 21"