BootCamp Win 7 Pro user wanting to upgrade

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Newtons Apple, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I would like to take advantage of Windows offer to upgrade to Windows 10 when it is released.

Would this update be done while I am in Windows 7 via BootCamp so I do not have to repartition my drive again.

Just hoping the update will be painless but have my doubts.

2. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

Should be able to just update windows. Worked fine for 8.1 and Windows 10 technical preview.

3. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

I installed Windows 8.1 on top of my Boot Camped 7 Professional, and the process went much more smoothly than I expected. The only changes needed were a reinstall of Apple's Windows support software and up-to-date GPU drivers.

I hope and expect the upgrade to Windows 10 to be as smooth, but it won't be something I will do until Apple updates its drivers. Unfortunately, that might not happen for at least 6 months after the new OS launches.

4. Newtons Apple thread starter macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

THANKS to both of you! Hate to see Windows & Pro go as to me it is the last real Windows OS. Spent a few days with Windows 8 on a Surface Pro 3 and did not like it but I guess I did not give it a chance.

I knew Win7 Pro on BootCamp would not last for ever but AutoCad and PhotShop demanded it for me. Guess I will make the move but only when Apple gets it ready to do so.

5. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

Windows 10 (technical preview) is working fine with the drivers from 8.1 so far.