Bootcamp - Win 7 processors ?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by PreetinderBajwa, Dec 2, 2009.

1. PreetinderBajwa macrumors regular

Hi,

Today I ran msconfig and checked out the the boot tab.. I saw I had only 1 processor selected (default) there for booting.

Does changing it to 2 processors help overall booting and general performance ?

I am on MBA Rev B and my bootcamp partition has win 7 Profesional 64 bit.

Any inputs will be very appreciated.

Thanks

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The MBA only has one processor, and running Windows via Boot Camp is running Windows natively, meaning having access to the full resources your computer gives you, meaning 1 CPU with 2 cores.

3. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

Funny you brought that up; I recently read (on some W7 forum or such) that changing the default to 2 processors decreases boot time. I just did it on my 2009 iMac and it seems to boot up W7 quicker.

You can also try disabling any programs that have unnecessarily added themselves to the startup list in msconfig (like Adobe, MS Office, etc.).

4. PreetinderBajwa thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm..

Hi Guys,

I thought that MBA air was Core 2 Duo ! That means 2 cores and hyperthreading ?

But I digress, When I had installed the Win 7 about a month ago it was very snappy ( even better than my Win laptop with better specs) , but since a week or so I feel that boot time is longer and the MBAs Win 7 performance is quite lagging, specially if I open a couple of basic office applications and/or open websites and an opffice application and try to transfer a 1GB folder from/to a USB drive.

So I was wondering is the 1 core thingy could be a part of the solution, as I have already cleared off a lot of the start up programmes, only AV, Nvidia Driver, bootcamp drivers i guess open at boot time.

I also closed/stopped a lot of services (in the services tab of MSCONFIG)when the machine boots.runs, like Ipod services, apple updater, vmware ??)

Cheers