Bootcamp Win10 external hdd block size?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by filozione, Dec 16, 2016.

1. filozione macrumors newbie

Hello,

I just wanna move my Bootcamp Partition from my late 2016 tMBP to an external Samsung T3 500GB.
    So, I already tried Winclone for this. Now my problem is, that the late 2016 tMBP has a device block size of 4096 and the Samsung T3 only has a device block size of 512. So this couldn't work.

The question is: is there any way to modify the device block size from the Samsung T3 up to 4096?
    Or should I buy an SSD enclosure with any other SSD inside which supports 4K?

Thanks a lot :)

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Generally speaking, changing the device block size for ANY device requires a reformat - in macOS or Windows. So give that a try first (make SURE you save anything you need on that drive, though!)

3. cis4life macrumors regular

I'm having the same issue with the T3. Did you ever get this working? If so, how?

4. filozione thread starter macrumors newbie

No, i didn't. I think the problem is the ssd controller, which is setting the block size.
    The support of winclone confirmed this. They gave me the advice to buy an external enclouser / ssd with 4k support.
    But searching for this gaves me no result.

I am wondering about this, that nobody else tried this or have the same issue.