Bootcamp Win10 on external drive

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by roadkill401, Jan 31, 2016.

1. roadkill401 macrumors 6502

roadkill401

I am sorry if I simply can't figure out where to post this question. It's not really an OSX 10.11 but that happens to be the OSx version I am running on my iMac. I know from past attempts that unless it's a hardware issue then posting on the iMac section will just get your question deleted.

I have an iMac that doesn't have a very big SSD drive. I don't have room to create bootcamp on it large enough to actually use. I own Windows 7-64bit but will really need to have Win10 and I know that I can upgrade the licence for it all to work.

The issue is how do I make that Win10 install on an external USB connected hard drive?

I have tried the instructions found on http://bleeptobleep.blogspot.ca/2013/02/mac-install-windows-7-or-8-on-external.html , but they will not work with my iMac and Windows 7 as it just blue-screen's with some 0x7b error before you can even install the software. I have downloaded the ISO image for Windows 10 and tried the same process but when it boots to do the install, I get a screen that says 'Remove the inserted media and press a key' but as I have an iMac with a wireless keyboard that doesn't do me much good.

Has anyone found a way that works for a 2014 27" iMac retina to create a working booting version of windows on an external hard drive?

2. Riwam macrumors 6502a

Riwam

Excuse my question if it is nonsense.
    Can't you make a small Windows inside with all the needed drivers from Apple and then clone it to an external large partition?
    Sorry if it is a stupid suggestion but it is what I would try.
    Ed

3. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

You can search under my profile for the method I used but I was using a 2014 MacBook and Windows 8.1.
    The method looks very similar though.
    Windows 10 should work but I don't think Windows 7 will because of the UEFI.
    For your keyboard issue you'll probably need to buy or borrow a USB keyboard just to get you through the install process.