Bootcamp Win7 install on unsupported Mac Pro's

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by shinsundo, Jun 29, 2010.

1. shinsundo macrumors newbie

Greetings!

We are unfortunate to have both of the Mac Pro's listed as incompatible with Win 7 here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3986

We get all the way to the "Completing installation" phase of Win7 Installer "Step 2" and the installer hangs.

Has anyone had any luck hacking their way into a solution for this? I can't believe our bad luck and we are desperate to get this working as we can't really afford new hardware and we have 16GB of ram investment to protect as well.

Should this thread be in the Running Windows on a Mac Forum?

If so, please move, but members there suggested to another user they post here since it is a Mac Pro issue....thanks again.

2. MacVidCards Suspended

Did you start by putting Bootcamp 3.1 on the Mac Pros?

3. shinsundo thread starter macrumors newbie

We used the Bootcamp installer on 10.6 installer...I believe the answer is yes!

Thank you!

4. shinsundo thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually I just looked at the version of Bootcamp Assistant and see it is V3.01

Does this mean I'm using Bootcamp 3.01?

5. GiantDolphin macrumors member

My bootcamp version says 3.0.2, but I have Windows 7 installed on my MP 1,1 just fine on OS 10.6.3 after doing the W7 install disk workaround.

6. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

You don't need Boot Camp to run Windows 7. I have Win7 64 Professional installed on my 2006 Mac Pro. Don't use Boot Camp and you'll be okay, though you'll miss out on some Apple-specific drivers, but for the most part you shouldn't have any issues with them.