Bootcamp + Win7 on Lion?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by gguerini, Jul 21, 2011.

1. gguerini macrumors regular

gguerini

Has anybody tried to install Win7 using Bootcamp with Lion?
    I'm about to do that and I'd like to know if people already tried.

Thanks

2. kirky29 macrumors 65816

kirky29

I haven't tried setting up a new bootcamp setup from Lion yet, but it's still there for me from Snow Leopard.

3. gguerini thread starter macrumors regular

gguerini

Thanks! I will give it a shot!

4. iHateMacs macrumors 6502a

iHateMacs

I did it yesterday. 32bit Win7 on a 20gb partition. It all installed ok and works fine.

I hate Bootcamp but until Parallels is fixed I need to use it.

5. kirky29 macrumors 65816

kirky29

Parallels is working fine under Lion? Or do you mean a different problem?

6. gguerini thread starter macrumors regular

gguerini

Why do you hate Bootcamp? I know it's not very convenient to boot your computer every time you need to use Windows, but now that computers use SSD and it's fast to boot, I'd rather to use Bootcamp to have full power on Windows. I use Visual Studio 2010, SQL Server 2008, etc.. and it makes a huge different, comparing to Fusio/Parallels.

7. iHateMacs macrumors 6502a

iHateMacs

I only need windows for one program. A program that I would usually leave running in the background while I do other stuff. I don't do anything else in Windows.

I may try an update on Parallels if it's working now. I read on their site a big list of things that had problems.

8. MCDELTAT macrumors newbie

Has anyone had problems with their install? I clean installed Lion (by clean installing Snow Leopard, upgrade to 10.6.8 and then to Lion) and then went to try Bootcamp but my installer keeps snagging in the same place. Note: Prior to this, I have never had an issue with Bootcamp and the Windows 7 install.

Basically, it is all working fine, the Windows 7 installer goes through a restart and reaches the final steps "Completing Installation", flashes to a black screen, to return and be frozen.

Googled the problem, some saying to remove USB devices, but that didn't work. They also recommended disabling the USB branch all together, but I'm not quite sure how to do that.

Any suggestions? I use Windows often for work and would like to head back over there.

9. TOYSTER17 macrumors regular

Does Lion come with all the driver we need for boot camp? I have Lion installed but want to install Windows 7 via boot camp for a few games I have, just don't know how to go about this.

10. MCDELTAT macrumors newbie

All the drivers should still be the same. Thus, they can be found on the Mac OS X install dvd that came with your computer. Once windows is installed, put that disc in and it will install all the necessary drivers.

The question still remains however.

11. TOYSTER17 macrumors regular

Hmmm. The problem is that I don't have an install dvd. When I bought my mac off craigslist It came with leopard installed. I tried to do a clean install of it before buying snow leopard and the installation dvd scratched during the install process. I couldn't boot into anything. I took it down to the apple store and they installed snow leopard for free off one of their drives, so I don't have the original dvd nor have I ever had the snow leopard DVD :/ I read somewhere that Lion has these drivers, don't recall where, since there is no install disc for Lion. But I've been trying to verify that.

12. TOYSTER17 macrumors regular

How did it go?

13. MCDELTAT macrumors newbie

Well yes, when you go through the bootcamp assistant, it will ask you if you already have the disc or if you wish to download them. Once downloaded, you can burn them to disc or put it on a thumb drive. I believe the first time I installed windows I did it by just googling a download of the drivers.

I would go with the bootcamp method though, just to make sure you're getting the right thing.

14. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I use windows to play games....everything else can be done in mac. Bootcamp works great for me...especially on an SSD!

15. Alveezy macrumors regular

can someone confirm if the windows drivers do exist within Lion? like if i try to pull up my Lion Bootdrive(USB) will it be there like when i pop in my Snow Leopard disc?